Suppressor finishes question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

van37725

Suppressor finishes question

Post by van37725 »

I've asked this question before in another forum, but I'll ask it here also. Besides anodizing, parkerizing, and ceracoat what finishes are being used for suppressor internals and exteriors that you know of? And is anyone using an "ion bond" finish? Thanks in advance.
Van
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressor finishes question

Post by gunny50 »

van37725 wrote:I've asked this question before in another forum, but I'll ask it here also. Besides anodizing, parkerizing, and ceracoat what finishes are being used for suppressor internals and exteriors that you know of? And is anyone using an "ion bond" finish? Thanks in advance.
Van

QPQ on stainless and other steel parts, also Plasma coating on hardened parts.
Other options are available but SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE.

PVD-Physical vapor deposition
CVD- Chemical vapor deposition
ALCVD – Atomic layer chemical vapor deposition

Did PVD in hot colors on slides and small parts nice to see easy to clean, golden, purple, silver, Ti color , Aubergine, etc. Not cheap but will last for ever on gun parts.
Below data sheet in language you all can read, so googled a bit to get something other than Dutch.
http://ttigroup.org.uk/serviceops/gener ... ileid=2361
http://ttigroup.org.uk/serviceops/gener ... ileid=2369
http://ttigroup.org.uk/serviceops/gener ... ileid=2358

Gunny

updated with more info.
Last edited by gunny50 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Think you pretty much have them covered....do not know of ion bond
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Shift1 wrote:Think you pretty much have them covered....do not know of ion bond

Shift quick google turned up with this over on XD talk
PVD coatings from IonBond by Springer Precision. ( in USA so easy to work with I would guess)

Gunny
proneshooternz

Post by proneshooternz »

Interesting question and one that is on my mind right now for when I finish my suppressor for my new 7mm08.

One option I am thinking of is a product called Plastidip.

It is a spray-on rubbery/plastic type coating that can be peeled off at a later date.

I was thinking of a rubbery finish as this is for a hunting rig and in New Zealand we are often pushing through thick bush and I thought the rubber coating would be good to keep noise down...plus it will match the hogue overmould stock on the Howa.

I will use the camo green colour for mine to go with the stock but it comes in a full range of colours

http://www.plastidip.com/
wp6529
Silent Operator

Post by wp6529 »

From the Plasti-Dip site: "temperatures from -30°F to 200°F."

I'm not a supressor expert, but I'm pretty sure temps will get well over 200F in short order, so Plasti-Dip is probably not suitable.
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

How much money do you want to spend? I am just curious why the options you listed aren't suitable.