PVC, or steel?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

friendlysniper

PVC, or steel?

Post by friendlysniper »

I'm using a maglite tube and threaded aluminum endcaps. The host is a 9mm handgun. I only have one issue to resolve.. would PVC hold up to 9mm pressures, or should I use a small length of steel tubing (vs pvc) to cover the opening for the button in the maglite body?

I don't know what sort of pressure PVC is rated to handle. The only issue with using steel tubing is buying a pipe cutter suitable for cutting steel, which is another 40 bucks out of my pocket.
Last edited by friendlysniper on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FarmDadCO

Re: PVC, or steel?

Post by FarmDadCO »

Buy the cutter and go steel , if/when pvc degrades and breaks you cannot legally replace the piece at home with another one .

Edited to add ,

This might be of interest to you as it is steel tubing without the button hole . Not going to make it cheaper , but might just make it better

http://www.shop.apogeeproducts.com/
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

FarmDadCO wrote:Buy the cutter and go steel , if/when pvc degrades and breaks you cannot legally replace the piece at home with another one .

Edited to add ,

This might be of interest to you as it is steel tubing without the button hole . Not going to make it cheaper , but might just make it better

http://www.shop.apogeeproducts.com/
Could not find specs/dimensions/TPI, etc.
Do you have them?
FarmDadCO

Post by FarmDadCO »

I do not have steel specs , Dementions are to mimic a 2-D cell maglight .
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

How are you making the endcaps? Hopefully with a lathe.
If that is the case, why not cut the steel tubing with the lathe?
If that is not the case, how are you ensuring colinearity? i.e. that the axis of the bore of the silencer is in line with the axis of the firearm.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
FarmDadCO

Post by FarmDadCO »

Not to speak for the OP , but there are several sites selling lathed end caps center marked /threaded and centering tools for the freeze plugs . If you can run a hand drill you can do a build
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

While it is true that there are a lot of ways to do a hand build, there are few ways to do one while effectively maintaining colinearity between the axis of the barrel and the silencer.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

bakerjw wrote:How are you making the endcaps? Hopefully with a lathe.
If that is the case, why not cut the steel tubing with the lathe?
If that is not the case, how are you ensuring colinearity? i.e. that the axis of the bore of the silencer is in line with the axis of the firearm.
I'm using the threaded (barrel side) endcaps/front end caps from sdtactical. Will these work the apogee products tubes? I don't know the threading specifications of either.
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

friendlysniper wrote:
I'm using the threaded (barrel side) endcaps/front end caps from sdtactical. Will these work the apogee products tubes? I don't know the threading specifications of either.
They will work. SDTactical specifically recommends it in one of his videos.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

telero wrote:
friendlysniper wrote:
They will work. SDTactical specifically recommends it in one of his videos.
There is one part of his commendable video that gave me trepidations, the
way he drilled the freeze plugs: he held them by hand as he drilled on the drill press.
I have had parts held in a machinist vice that the drill grabbed out in an unexpected way
and hurled it like a piece of shrapnel. May I earnestly suggest to those who
use a drill press to avoid free hand holding ... to increase the probability of
keeping your free hand. Have a few friends who are carpenters and machinists
who have learned to work minus a few fingers.
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

I'd be interested to know how a build like this performs.
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

Historian wrote:
There is one part of his commendable video that gave me trepidations, the
way he drilled the freeze plugs: he held them by hand as he drilled on the drill press.
Agreed. I know it was done quickly for demo purposes, but certainly safe shop practices need to be observed.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

The more voices the better where safety is concerned. I was fortunate, had an excellent highschool shop teacher who took pains to spend vast amounts of class time on machine safety. 35 years later his lessons, and his cautionary tales based in those who did not follow them and paid the price in flesh, still resonate and keep me safer. Saw that video last fall and just about swallowed my tongue thinking about how many goombahs were probably going to follow suit and end up shredding a thumb. Make a jig. Do it right. It's worth it.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

a_canadian wrote:The more voices the better where safety is concerned. I was fortunate, had an excellent highschool shop teacher who took pains to spend vast amounts of class time on machine safety. 35 years later his lessons, and his cautionary tales based in those who did not follow them and paid the price in flesh, still resonate and keep me safer. Saw that video last fall and just about swallowed my tongue thinking about how many goombahs were probably going to follow suit and end up shredding a thumb. Make a jig. Do it right. It's worth it.

Hey! You talking to me? You think I'm funny*? Ah, fuggedaboutit. :) :)

Real 'goombahs':
*<< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d2LAs-WL_4 >>
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Sorry, no offense intended. Were I grew up in the West of Canada, goombah was just another word for 'stupid', no ethnic nor cultural inflections.
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

The apogee tube would be ideal, but I've since decided to go with a smaller diameter (C-Cell size maglite) instead of the larger D-Cell. It seems that they're all in that (D-cell) size.
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

Yep, the Apogee tubes are all D cell.

You're using the SD Tactical C cell mag lite caps, correct? And the freeze plugs/tools he sells for them? Just curious if you happen to know the I.D. of the c cell? Also curious what you're going to use for spacer material?

The I.D. of the D cell is 1.350, and it looks like the closest steel pipe to use as a spacer is a 1" schedule 40 with a 1.315 O.D. Using that in an aluminum body seems like it would add a bit of (needed?) structural integrity, while adding it to a steel body would take up internal volume.

Applying the same thoughts to the C cell body, is there a spacer material that has an appropriate O.D. while providing good structural integrity, and not taking up too much volume?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

a_canadian wrote:Sorry, no offense intended. Were I grew up in the West of Canada, goombah was just another word for 'stupid', no ethnic nor cultural inflections.

No offense taken as there was truly no offense perceived!!
Imagery was too funny.

Mon deux, just as one would not want to make a faux pas
by confusing a West Canadian with Québécois. N'cest pas? :) :)

Just an inveterate punster who will take any opportunity to abuse the English language
with no intent to PUNish hapless readers.

Best.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Well... I just wanted to be extra-Canadian and apologise, just in case. You know, this is a 'silencer' forum and all... and you're a pretty heavy hitter around here... so yeah, just didn't want you thinking I thought you were a funny guy or nothin'. Just in case someone thought to get the idea I might need to get whacked, ya know?
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

telero wrote:Yep, the Apogee tubes are all D cell.

You're using the SD Tactical C cell mag lite caps, correct? And the freeze plugs/tools he sells for them? Just curious if you happen to know the I.D. of the c cell? Also curious what you're going to use for spacer material?

The I.D. of the D cell is 1.350, and it looks like the closest steel pipe to use as a spacer is a 1" schedule 40 with a 1.315 O.D. Using that in an aluminum body seems like it would add a bit of (needed?) structural integrity, while adding it to a steel body would take up internal volume.

Applying the same thoughts to the C cell body, is there a spacer material that has an appropriate O.D. while providing good structural integrity, and not taking up too much volume?
1" steel tube hopefully. The inner diameter is a little bigger than an inch, exactly how big I'm not sure because I don't have a digital caliper. It would probably need to be wrapped in electrical tape to have a snug fit, but I also thought about using RTV silicone both on the spacers and between the baffles as well as to cover the button port hole.