300 series stainless as tube material

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Will_M
Silent Operator

300 series stainless as tube material

Post by Will_M »

I'm considering doing a Form 1 can using 316 stainless with 1.5" OD and 0.065" wall thickness. I found an article by Dr. Dater of Gemtech. He has some pressure data from testing he performed.

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=573

Assuming the data is correct, and the blast chamber pressure is roughly 3,000 psi on a 10" barrel 5.56mm rifle, how are companies like SilencerCo able to use 316SS as a tube material?

My calculations:

Hoop stress = (blast chamber pressure * radius of chamber) / wall thickness.

Hoop stress = (3000psi*0.685inch)/(0.065") = 31,615psi.

The yield stress of 316SS is only 30,000 psi according to my sources online. How are they able to rate their cans for full auto SBR use? Do they use a thicker wall? Should I consider a different material for my tube?
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 series stainless as tube material

Post by RJT »

JasonM wrote:
Tube looks like an outer layer in this cutaway, that's how they are getting away with it most likely.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

Looking at my Specwar that's what I figured. So the blast chamber is actually Stellite? The tube isn't taking the pressure?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Will_M wrote:Looking at my Specwar that's what I figured. So the blast chamber is actually Stellite? The tube isn't taking the pressure?
Blast chamber is not stellite, the baffles are stellite.
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

Bendersquint wrote:
Will_M wrote:Looking at my Specwar that's what I figured. So the blast chamber is actually Stellite? The tube isn't taking the pressure?
So the 316SS tube is able to contain that pressure? How can I be sure my 316SS tube can take the pressure from a 10" barrel? Is 0.065" thick seamless tubing strong enough? I understand the size of the blast chamber is extremely important, but I based my calculations off of the numbers from Dr. Dater's test.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Will_M wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
So the 316SS tube is able to contain that pressure? How can I be sure my 316SS tube can take the pressure from a 10" barrel? Is 0.065" thick seamless tubing strong enough? I understand the size of the blast chamber is extremely important, but I based my calculations off of the numbers from Dr. Dater's test.

does your design incorporate a spacer for the blast chamber? if so I would not hesitate to make it .065".

if your wall thickness is the only thing containing the blast, you may consider going thicker. I have one that is .100" 316L SS with no spacer. But, I've only ran it on a 16 inch barrel.....no issues.

Welcome to the form1 addiction!
Kyle O.
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

Dr.K wrote:
does your design incorporate a spacer for the blast chamber? if so I would not hesitate to make it .065".

if your wall thickness is the only thing containing the blast, you may consider going thicker. I have one that is .100" 316L SS with no spacer. But, I've only ran it on a 16 inch barrel.....no issues.

Welcome to the form1 addiction!

At this point I hadn't considered a spacer, but that could definitely be arranged. Would I be correct in assuming that the spacer would then become the pressure vessel for the blast chamber and would have to be spec'd accordingly?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Will_M wrote: At this point I hadn't considered a spacer, but that could definitely be arranged. Would I be correct in assuming that the spacer would then become the pressure vessel for the blast chamber and would have to be spec'd accordingly?
Sir .065 will be enough to contain the pressure.A spacer in the blast chamber will not increase burst pressure but will help with erosion from a short barrel.You should make the first several baffles from inconel for the same reason.A short barreled 5.56 will eat baffles so you may wish to build this as a take apart unit so it may be serviced from time to time.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Capt. Link. wrote:
Will_M wrote: At this point I hadn't considered a spacer, but that could definitely be arranged. Would I be correct in assuming that the spacer would then become the pressure vessel for the blast chamber and would have to be spec'd accordingly?
Sir .065 will be enough to contain the pressure.A spacer in the blast chamber will not increase burst pressure but will help with erosion from a short barrel.You should make the first several baffles from inconel for the same reason.A short barreled 5.56 will eat baffles so you may wish to build this as a take apart unit so it may be serviced from time to time.
I do have one Question in this case, is it not so that when the core is fully welded en the outer tube is a press / shrink fit that both wall thicknesses can be combined as a total wall thickness?
As gas can not go in-between the 2?

I do see that when one uses a separate spacer that when the gas can flow between baffles and tube the pressure can do its work on the outer tube.
And on really short 556 a take apart can would be a good option.

Gunny
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

gunny50 wrote:
Capt. Link. wrote:
I do have one Question in this case, is it not so that when the core is fully welded en the outer tube is a press / shrink fit that both wall thicknesses can be combined as a total wall thickness?
As gas can not go in-between the 2?

I do see that when one uses a separate spacer that when the gas can flow between baffles and tube the pressure can do its work on the outer tube.
And on really short 556 a take apart can would be a good option.

Gunny
I think from a engineering point you would have a reinforced chamber and not a combined thickness chamber I could be wrong.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Capt. Link. wrote: I think from a engineering point you would have a reinforced chamber and not a combined thickness chamber I could be wrong.
I'm no engineer, but I definitely fit deeply inside the realm of "mad scientist".

If the spacer is snugly fit between the blast baffle, and the rear cap, and is a solid piece...and fits within 5 thou of the ID of the tube.

If it was suddenly put under a high pressure load, and started to expand outward as it pushed into the outer tube, it would certainly push back and support the spacer thereby increasing the load it would be capable of handling.

It's not different that lighting off a cartridge in a firearm chamber, the brass expands, fills the chamber, but the chamber keeps the brass from rupturing (in most cases) because it supports it.

I see no difference here in our silencer example.
Kyle O.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Dr.K wrote:
Capt. Link. wrote: I think from a engineering point you would have a reinforced chamber and not a combined thickness chamber I could be wrong.
I'm no engineer, but I definitely fit deeply inside the realm of "mad scientist".

If the spacer is snugly fit between the blast baffle, and the rear cap, and is a solid piece...and fits within 5 thou of the ID of the tube.

If it was suddenly put under a high pressure load, and started to expand outward as it pushed into the outer tube, it would certainly push back and support the spacer thereby increasing the load it would be capable of handling.

It's not different that lighting off a cartridge in a firearm chamber, the brass expands, fills the chamber, but the chamber keeps the brass from rupturing (in most cases) because it supports it.

I see no difference here in our silencer example.
+1

Excellent observation and extrapolation.

E.g., Hard/soft ... Katana

Best.