Design questions for 9mm & .308 monocore

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

JohnMatrix

Design questions for 9mm & .308 monocore

Post by JohnMatrix »

Hello,

I'm trying to construct a layout design to attach to my ATF form1.
I have several questions. Firstly, I was planning on constructing a can for my 9mm handgun that could also be used on a .308. My question is, would the .308 create so much pressure that by the time i bulk up the can enough i'd have a 3lb can on the end of my handgun, and might as well just make one specifically for each gun? Or is there a way to make one light enough for my handgun, yet strong enough to fire .308 rounds ?

That being said, what do you recommend for materials? (If those two rounds are mutually exclusive, lets just focus on what I would need to do for a 9mm). I was planning on doing a titanium outer and an aluminum mono-core, I thought that this would be strong & light, and great for 9mm. Would an aluminum core be alright for a .308 ? Is aluminum even ideal for 9mm?
What would be the ideal materials for the outer & core?

Additionally, what kind of baffle wall thickness would be required for those materials, and how thick should I make the outer? I know virtually nothing about metals & test strengths, so I wouldn't even know where to begin estimating.

A mono-core looked pretty simple to construct, but upon doing some research I've gathered that there's a bit more to their design than just making some random baffles. Looking at pictures, there's some pretty intricate designs, what is the methodology behind the shapes & design of the baffling? Surely there's more to it than just going in there with a mill and cutting out random shapes. If anyone could lend me some insight on some key points to focus on there I would greatly appreciate it (baffle shapes/sizes/angles/theory).

I have access to a complete machine shop, as well as experienced machinists who can give me advice, but I'm really struggling to come up with a monocore blueprint to go off of.

Thank you all very much
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Re: Design questions for 9mm & .308 monocore

Post by john.t.little1 »

Not saying a can wouldn't work on both platforms but why? build a 9mm can that's good and with funds down the road make a .308 you can always get a thread adapter to go from 5/8-24 to whatever threads your pistol barrel is. I would suggest looking at all the builds in the completed builds thread.
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
Shady

Post by Shady »

I was under the impression that you did not need plans when you did a suppressor ?

I am new to this and can be totally wrong.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Make one for each. No other way to do it
NP
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Don't want to come off dickish but you need to do a lot of research. I could assist but as I said you need to make one for each.
Do you know what a neilson device is?
NP
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Shady wrote:I was under the impression that you did not need plans when you did a suppressor ?

I am new to this and can be totally wrong.
No plans/blueprints are required by the ATF.
Landry308
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Landry308 »

What is the "standard" 9mm baffle bore diameter ?
Shooting Supplies
Class 3/SOT
Sales, Transfers, Special orders
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum3/view ... 10&t=30986

Take a look around the completed builds thread it's amazing what you'll find there...
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Landry308 wrote:What is the "standard" 9mm baffle bore diameter ?

I use 10,5mm for some of my customers.

Gunny
JohnMatrix

Post by JohnMatrix »

Thanks everyone for your input,

So proceeding with a 9mm can, what would be recommended for tube & core materials?
Also, what can you recommend for tube thickness & mono core baffle thickness?
After browsing the site it seems that 303 stainless is the way to go for my threaded endcap design. as i dont have to worry about the expansion rates of two different metals.
I was planning on having the monocore mount directly to the muzzle, an outer-tube, and end-cap.
I'm just not quite sure about monocore design. Is it as simple as drilling several large holes perpendicular to the bore hole?

Thanks
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

JohnMatrix wrote:Thanks everyone for your input,

So proceeding with a 9mm can, what would be recommended for tube & core materials?
Also, what can you recommend for tube thickness & mono core baffle thickness?
After browsing the site it seems that 303 stainless is the way to go for my threaded endcap design. as i dont have to worry about the expansion rates of two different metals.
I was planning on having the monocore mount directly to the muzzle, an outer-tube, and end-cap.
I'm just not quite sure about monocore design. Is it as simple as drilling several large holes perpendicular to the bore hole?

Thanks
You REALY NEED to do some reading.
Link below gives so many solutions and answers to you questions.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895

Also Google MONOCORE silencers and you'll have so manny options.

Gunny