Finally approved to make my first build (.308)

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Finally approved to make my first build (.308)

Post by vaeevictiss »

So i was finally recently approved to build my first can. After a bit of testing and learning the machine and metal (with some help from you guys) i made it.

So, i forgot to take a lot of process pictures...but its nothing new to you guys. I do however have a spare cone i chipped so you can see whats inside. Its basically 5 of those cones with spacers between.

I know i could had shed a lot of weight off the baffles. I believe my all my baffles are as thick as a blast baffle should be...but i suppose its ready for 338 lapua too. The final dimensions are 7.5" long, 1.5" diameter, and weighs 23.5oz. the tube is 316SS and the rest is 416SS. It is also very quiet and im more than happy for a first attempt. Even with full power loads its a joy and very comfortable to shoot w/o hearing protection.

Oddly, on my rifle, from my standard full power load i dial up 11 MOA at 100 yards to use my subsonic loads, and they are dead on. But from zero with my full power loads and the suppressor on, it shoots low and to the left exactly 1 inch at 100 yards. What would cause a "windage" POI shift on my full power loads but not my sub sonic loads? To add to that, should POI shift be consistant? I get a chance to go to a 500 yard range every now and then to bang steel, should i be hitting 5" low and left?

Either way, the rifle, with the can on, with my full power loads is still shooting a 1/4" group at 100 yards and thats more than i can ask for. I dont mind the POI shift if im still getting the same group size with the can that i do without. Only thing i would have changed is to knock at least another 3.5oz of to get it at 20 or less.

the cone:

whole can:

view through the can:

rifle with can:

Last edited by vaeevictiss on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srs
Silent Operator

Re: Finally approved to make my first build (.308)

Post by srs »

It appears that you have an extra suppressor part, this is completely verboten. It would be a good idea to destroy that to reduce your risk. Of course, it could be a part that you simply took out of your suppressor for demonstration, in which case you are fine... :wink:

Nice setup there.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

POI shift is only truly consistent with a QD brake.

If you torque the can on with X pressure and zero it, then the next time you torque it with X+5 pressure then it changed the barrel harmonics and POI.

I would also get rid of the extra silencer part and not share felonies on the internet.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

ohhh didnt even think of that. just thought of it as a damaged part.

well, they don't make 10 ton presses for nothing :D
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

Just out of curiosity. My buddy is a gunsmith and has a class 3 and sot. If I ever got a wild hair up my ass and wanted to make this lighter, could I crack it open at his shop and lighten it up... legally?

During the process of building it I kept wanting to do it without the spacers and just weld the cones to the tube. I figured if I made 4 small holes 90 degrees apart around the diameter and spaced them out, could I just fill the welds then turn off the excess? Or is there a better way too do that? I wasn't sure if 4 small welds would hold up to the pressure but I know I could drop about 4oz removing the spacers, as well as add volume.

If not and I'm stuck with it that's fine too since I'm still very happy with it.
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Great work! A 308 can is an ambitious project for a first try. Sounds like you are happy with it, if I were you I'd just keep shooting it and not worry about what you can do to make it lighter.

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

vaeevictiss wrote:Just out of curiosity. My buddy is a gunsmith and has a class 3 and sot. If I ever got a wild hair up my ass and wanted to make this lighter, could I crack it open at his shop and lighten it up... legally?

During the process of building it I kept wanting to do it without the spacers and just weld the cones to the tube. I figured if I made 4 small holes 90 degrees apart around the diameter and spaced them out, could I just fill the welds then turn off the excess? Or is there a better way too do that? I wasn't sure if 4 small welds would hold up to the pressure but I know I could drop about 4oz removing the spacers, as well as add volume.

If not and I'm stuck with it that's fine too since I'm still very happy with it.
What you are suggesting are manufacturing activities, NOT gunsmithing activities, your gunsmith buddy would have to be licensed as an 07/02.
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

Not saying it would work but if you were to crack it open and remove the spacers I would drill several holes all the way around the tube not just 4 per cone. A lot of pressure in these things hell if I were you id just take the spacers and thin them a little maybe put the caps on a diet. Just my $.02
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

Bendersquint wrote:
vaeevictiss wrote:Just out of curiosity. My buddy is a gunsmith and has a class 3 and sot. If I ever got a wild hair up my ass and wanted to make this lighter, could I crack it open at his shop and lighten it up... legally?

What you are suggesting are manufacturing activities, NOT gunsmithing activities, your gunsmith buddy would have to be licensed as an 07/02.
yea, he is 07/02.

I guess i could just leave it damn well enough alone too haha.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

john.t.little1 wrote:Not saying it would work but if you were to crack it open and remove the spacers I would drill several holes all the way around the tube not just 4 per cone. A lot of pressure in these things hell if I were you id just take the spacers and thin them a little maybe put the caps on a diet. Just my $.02
currently the cones are .080 thick. Ive seen here that .065 is suggested. The spacers if i remember are .040 thick.
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

vaeevictiss wrote:currently the cones are .080 thick. Ive seen here that .065 is suggested. The spacers if i remember are .040 thick.
do you have a rotary table for the mill? If so you could do spiral like flutes on the cones .025 deep shouldn't hurt a thing idk how much weight you'd drop doing it but it would look cool and you could give everyone a update on its performance lol how thick is your tube?
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

the tube is .065
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

vaeevictiss wrote:the tube is .065
If anything I would thin the baffles out a shy if the weight bothers you.
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

i really wouldn't worry about all that extra work to shave a few ounces just send in for another stamp :D