Gas Relief Slots: Who else has done this?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

fester225

Gas Relief Slots: Who else has done this?

Post by fester225 »

I'm working on a suppressor design for my next rifle. The plan includes a 2-point lockup and gas relief slots cut into the barrel.

I know others have cut gas relief slots into the barrel, but the problem becomes: How much slot do you put where, and how effective are they likely to be? Has anyone published results from testing this aspect of suppressor design? Where do I find those results?

Is there any suppressor design testing data available anywhere on the internet?
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gas Relief Slots: Who else has done this?

Post by gunny50 »

fester225 wrote:I'm working on a suppressor design for my next rifle. The plan includes a 2-point lockup and gas relief slots cut into the barrel.
I know others have cut gas relief slots into the barrel, but the problem becomes: How much slot do you put where, and how effective are they likely to be? Has anyone published results from testing this aspect of suppressor design? Where do I find those results?
Is there any suppressor design testing data available anywhere on the internet?

Are you thinking Fully suppressed?
What silencer size?
What Caliber?
What barrel Length?

Gunny
fester225

Post by fester225 »

gunny50 wrote:

Are you thinking Fully suppressed?
What silencer size?
What Caliber?
What barrel Length?

Gunny
I'm not too picky at this point about caliber or barrel length. Mostly what I'm looking for is a sense of proportion: For this caliber and excess barrel length with some particular size slots, there was X amount of noise using some particular ammo. This is what happened when the excess barrrel length was changed.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

I'm not convinced you'll find the type of data you're looking for. If someone was to go through all that testing, likely the concluded design would be from a mfg. Not likely those type results would be public. But, you never know if you don't ask! Good luck, welcome, and let us know if you find it.
Kyle O.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Dr.K wrote:I'm not convinced you'll find the type of data you're looking for. If someone was to go through all that testing, likely the concluded design would be from a mfg. Not likely those type results would be public. But, you never know if you don't ask! Good luck, welcome, and let us know if you find it.

Dr. K.

There is data available online BUT as far as I can recall it was for auto cannons and not for rifles.
But these are more ore less LARGE rifle right?

one of the documents is AD-A257 954 - and is for the bradley 25mm
other is a lot older is documented in photos and text found it once when I was googling "longterm weapon storage" and found images of the springfield armory mass produced canning operation for weapons.

Gunny
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Was the testing for sound reduction Gunny?
If so, it would be easy enough to extrapolate the data. From a ratio perspective anyway.

As was asked earlier, the specific design in question would likely lead to better feedback. There are just too many variables for extrapolated data to be of much use when comparing for example, tank fired munitions to rim fire . At least the caliber your thinking of, and platform would be very helpful.

If you are in the design phase, at least you have these things known already, right?
Kyle O.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Dr.K wrote:Was the testing for sound reduction Gunny?
If so, it would be easy enough to extrapolate the data. From a ratio perspective anyway.

As was asked earlier, the specific design in question would likely lead to better feedback. There are just too many variables for extrapolated data to be of much use when comparing for example, tank fired munitions to rim fire . At least the caliber your thinking of, and platform would be very helpful.

If you are in the design phase, at least you have these things known already, right?

The bradly document was for porting and silencers yes, it was discussed several weeks ago in a sabot silencer.

The other document showed pictures and text on all kinds of flash hiders and silencers. From 30 cal up to FH for ma deuce.

Gunny