AR15 SBR Short stroking, help needed.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

AR15 SBR Short stroking, help needed.

Post by LavaRed »

As some of you may remember, I recently completed 2 L119A1 builds, both select fire, one standard length, one with a short GSE buffer, 10.5" barrel, and a Paladin adjustable gas block
Well, testing the shorty one, I have encountered lots of problems. Specifically:
The rifle will fire about 3 rounds in semi, or 2 in full, before jamming. Usually, the chamber will be empty, and the hammer uncocked, tho ocasionally there was a round chambered with the hammer uncocked.
I noticed the gas tube backing out of the gas block. It's held to the gas block by a couple of tiny allen screws. I dimpled the gas block with a diamond ball file, but it continued to back off after 3 shots or so, deforming the dimples.
Replacing the GSE tube with a regular skeleton stock and commercial 3oz. buffer yielded the exact same results.

So, I need your help correcting this problem, as I am not very familiar with the AR platform, and I'm at a loss as to how to correct the problem.
Thanks,
Lava
Last edited by LavaRed on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Re: L119A1 Short stroking, help needed.

Post by mr fixit »

Not an expert by any means, but it sounds like not enough gas. If there is not enough gas to fully retract the bolt, you end up with an empty chamber. I could see the possibility of just enough gas to extract a round and barely chamber another with out getting the hammer fully cocked.

If it were not for the hammer being un cocked, i would strongly suspect a magazine issue. With the hammer not being fully cocked, i suspect it is gas related.

possible problems to look for:
leak in gas tube
leak in gas block
gas block not open enough
too heavy buffer
too heavy buffer spring
carrier key loose

my first suggestion is to replace the adjustable gas block with a standard gas block.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Re: L119A1 Short stroking, help needed.

Post by mr fixit »

Did you get your problem resolved?
If not, you might get more suggestions if you re-title your question asking for help for Ar-15 rather than L119A1.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Re: AR15 SBR Short stroking, help needed.

Post by CMV »

The gas tube should be secured into the gas block with a roll pin. The gas block itself should secure to the barrel with set screws, clamping screws, or taper pins depending on type. Regardless, neither should move. If the gas tube is separating from the gas block, that's my guess to the problem - the hole in the gas tube isn't staying aligned with the hole in the barrel. But that's a symptom of [what I suspect] a missing roll pin.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

CMV wrote:The gas tube should be secured into the gas block with a roll pin. The gas block itself should secure to the barrel with set screws, clamping screws, or taper pins depending on type. Regardless, neither should move. If the gas tube is separating from the gas block, that's my guess to the problem - the hole in the gas tube isn't staying aligned with the hole in the barrel. But that's a symptom of [what I suspect] a missing roll pin.

As far as I recall the Paladin adjustable gas block does not have a roll pin option for the gastube

Gunny
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

It may not - I don't have one. Just going by the ones I use & what's "typically" found on an AR.

If it uses set screws to hold the gas tube, maybe a knurled tip set screw would work?

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

double post.
Gunny
Last edited by gunny50 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

CMV wrote:It may not - I don't have one. Just going by the ones I use & what's "typically" found on an AR.
If it uses set screws to hold the gas tube, maybe a knurled tip set screw would work?

Using the paladin the gas tube is held in place by the 2 stews on top or as some have them one at each side.
The Paladin can not use a roll-pin as the gas selector is in the away.
Its the way this block was designed.

You could modify it in a way as the Armalite SASS gas block ( use hydraulic, brake connectors to hold the tube in.
Gunny
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Thanks for the ideas folks.

Unfortunately, I replaced the Paladin with a regular pinned gas block altogether, and the problem still persists.

I ended up ordering McFarland one piece gas rings, and sent the barrel off to the machinist to have the gas port enlarged from 0.73" to 0.93, which is the maximum allowed under Colt specs aparently. I will also be replacing the cam pin, just in case, and the gas buster charging handle with a regular part.
Can't do much until the parts arrive, however.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

What buffer are you using ?
The heavier H2 buffer will hold the bolt closed longer and allow the brass to shrink back down in size
so it will extract easier, faster and stronger.
A buffer that too light will allow the bolt to unlock sooner when the pressure in the brass is still high
causing the brass to be too tight in the chamber slowing the extraction and giving the bcg a short stroke.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

LavaRed wrote:Thanks for the ideas folks.

Unfortunately, I replaced the Paladin with a regular pinned gas block altogether, and the problem still persists.

I ended up ordering McFarland one piece gas rings, and sent the barrel off to the machinist to have the gas port enlarged from 0.73" to 0.93, which is the maximum allowed under Colt specs aparently. I will also be replacing the cam pin, just in case, and the gas buster charging handle with a regular part.
The short-stroking or the gas tube separating from the gas block?

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

redtazdog wrote:What buffer are you using ?
The heavier H2 buffer will hold the bolt closed longer and allow the brass to shrink back down in size
so it will extract easier, faster and stronger.
A buffer that too light will allow the bolt to unlock sooner when the pressure in the brass is still high
causing the brass to be too tight in the chamber slowing the extraction and giving the bcg a short stroke.
At first I was using the GSE short pistol buffer tube, which exerts far more force than an H2 buffer. First I used it with a pure tungsten weight that I made myself, then with the standard steel weight that came with it. When that failed, I put on a skeleton stock, and tried that first with an H2 buffer that I borrowed from another rifle, then with a commercial 3 Oz. The only change was when I replaced my tungsten weight with the steel weight on the GSE tube: The hammer started getting cocked most of the time, where before it was mostly uncocked after firing.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

CMV wrote:
LavaRed wrote:Thanks for the ideas folks.

The short-stroking or the gas tube separating from the gas block?
The short stroking. The tube separation was corrected with the standard gas block.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

If you said what ammo you're using I missed it. If it's Wolf, that's typically loaded on the lighter side and extracting the steel cases might be putting extra drag on the BCG. If it's standard commercial .223, maybe try some MILSURP 5.56mm ammo. 5.56 is generally loaded a little hotter than most commercial .223. Not a huge difference, but maybe enough to get you running until you get it gassed right.

Another thing to try if it's pretty close, take some of the preload off the hammer spring. It will resist the bolt carrier less when cycling. If hammer springs are as cheap & plentiful there as here, the easiest way is to just cut an entire leg off the spring. Just make sure it's not the leg that catches on the trigger pin to hold it in place (or flip the pin if it is). 9/10 times, an AR will still ignite a hard primer like a CCI #41 or Wolf SRM with one entire leg chopped from the [milspec] hammer spring and a very small bend to take some preload off the remaining leg. That's almost an insignificant amount of drag relieved from the bolt carrier, but sounds like you're really close to having it cycle so maybe either or both of these suggestions will make it run. Doesn't cost anything to try.

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I'm running Guatemalan milsurp M193 pattern ammo. No, AR parts are almost nonexistent here. But, I will order a spare spring and try this anyways.