Form 1 can compatibility with my TiRant 45

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

whispershot

Form 1 can compatibility with my TiRant 45

Post by whispershot »

Please forgive me if the answer to my question is out there on the net somewhere. I've Googled with no luck.

My Form 1's are back (FINALLY) for a 30 cal can and a 45 cal can. I want to build these cans with SS for use on rifles with both supers and subs. I want to build the rear caps so that I can use the booster off of my TIRANT to shoot these form 1 cans on pistol hosts.

Does anyone know the thread specs and measurements for the piston housing for the TIRANT 45? (Like thread pitch, OD, ID) The stamp won't be back on my TIRANT for several months, so I don't have it here to make any measurements directly. :(

I basically want to design my rear caps to be similar to the TIRANT piston housing.

Any help is appreciated!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Form 1 can compatibility with my TiRant 45

Post by Bendersquint »

whispershot wrote:Please forgive me if the answer to my question is out there on the net somewhere. I've Googled with no luck.

My Form 1's are back (FINALLY) for a 30 cal can and a 45 cal can. I want to build these cans with SS for use on rifles with both supers and subs. I want to build the rear caps so that I can use the booster off of my TIRANT to shoot these form 1 cans on pistol hosts.

Does anyone know the thread specs and measurements for the piston housing for the TIRANT 45? (Like thread pitch, OD, ID) The stamp won't be back on my TIRANT for several months, so I don't have it here to make any measurements directly. :(

I basically want to design my rear caps to be similar to the TIRANT piston housing.

Any help is appreciated!
I would look into the legal side of things before you worry about the mechanical side of things.

Legal side has issues.
whispershot

Post by whispershot »

I would look into the legal side of things before you worry about the mechanical side of things.

Legal side has issues.
By legal, do you mean that it may not be legal to swap silencer parts between cans, or are you talking about patent infringement? I don't want to violate either of course; I'm just trying to clarify. Thanks for the response!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

whispershot wrote:

Legal side has issues.
By legal, do you mean that it may not be legal to swap silencer parts between cans, or are you talking about patent infringement? I don't want to violate either of course; I'm just trying to clarify. Thanks for the response!
Both
whispershot

Post by whispershot »

Thanks Matt! I guess the moderators should move this thread to "NFA Legal" sub forum. Thanks again for the response.
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

How can using a removable part from a registered suppressor on another registered suppressor be illegal? I don't buy it.

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

kingjamez wrote:How can using a removable part from a registered suppressor on another registered suppressor be illegal? I don't buy it.

-Jim
Its all about the design. If not designed properly then it can have legal issues with a Form1 build.

The patents would be more of a concern for me.
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Bendersquint wrote:
kingjamez wrote:How can using a removable part from a registered suppressor on another registered suppressor be illegal? I don't buy it.

-Jim
Its all about the design. If not designed properly then it can have legal issues with a Form1 build.

The patents would be more of a concern for me.
Give me an example of how improper design has "legal issues" in this scenario.

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I think Thompson makes a suppressor that can accept boosters designed for other cans and boosters that can be used with other cans.

You may want to drop a line to Brooks to find out what issues they had to work around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895