Stepped Cones - Benefit?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Stepped Cones - Benefit?

Post by RPM509 »

Might be a question already covered, if so, sorry.
Do stepped cones offer any benefit to suppressing? For a mental exercise, they would appear to offer some benefit, if only to create additional disruption of the gases.
Thanks
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Stepped Cones - Benefit?

Post by Bendersquint »

RPM509 wrote:Might be a question already covered, if so, sorry.
Do stepped cones offer any benefit to suppressing? For a mental exercise, they would appear to offer some benefit, if only to create additional disruption of the gases.
Thanks
Yes, properly designed step cones can enhance suppression.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Appreciate it. Folow-up: assuming disruption of the gas movement can be beneficial, is there a realistic limit to this, i.e. too much can also me a bad thing?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

If you're talking about stepped cones you're talking about relatively high velocity rounds right? If that's the case it seems unlikely an cross-bore gas pressure stream is going to happen before the projectile is looooooong gone, so POI shift doesn't seem to be a likely issue. I'd guess (sorry, no experience here) that the biggest remaining issue would be cone thickness. I say that because the only practical way to get extreme about clipping would be to shave a very long face cut onto the cones, possible only if they have vast thickness. Or I suppose me might bend the metal or.swage it, forming a very broad 'clipped' face, but this seems impractical. Have you something specific in mind?
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Right now I am just doing chicken scratches on napkins kind of thing, thinking it through.
Some of the shapes I've considered are complicated and beyond my amatuer abilities, so
they may be a foregone conclusion that I won't make them. But if I can design someting
into a simpler design, I may proceed.

Really not trying to be obtuse, but I am wholly unsure at this point.

Thanks