Homeade heavy buffer

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Homeade heavy buffer

Post by Dr.K »

[URL=http://s605.photobucket.com/user/kyle03 ... v.jpg.html]Image[/URL

]This has to do with silencers in a round about way.

I have a blackout upper that I just can't get to slow down while suppressed. The bolt carrier is out running the magazine feed, and crashing the bolt into the top of the next round. I've tried multiple gas block adjustments, and it's either not enough or too much. So I resorted to finding a heavy carbine buffer, and seems they are in the 40 to 50 dollar range.

So, of course I just built my own out of scrap stainless.

Weighs in at 6.1oz, took 2 hours. Gun runs fantastic now!

Thought I'd share as it's a pretty easy project if one were so inclined.
Kyle O.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Homeade heavy buffer

Post by Historian »

Well done, Sir, well done.

You solved the problem with ingenuity, elegance, and
efficiency. Admirable and inspirational.

Thanks for showing and triggering some new ideas.

Best.
wp6529
Silent Operator

Post by wp6529 »

What did you do for the sliding weight stack "dead blow hammer" inside the buffer?
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Are you running an M16 carrier too? That's another ~.3-.4oz of mass vs an AR cut carrier depending on brand.

Not trying to discourage your ingenuity, but have you tried it yet? I have a feeling you won't like the results, but could be wrong (often am). Just looking at it, the overall diameter is what the rear shoulder for the spring should be. Looks like with that diameter the spring is going to bind. I'd turn the front part of the OD down to give the spring more room to compress without wanting to bind.

The biggest concern I'd have is returning the rifle to battery w/o the deadblow weight. I suspect you're going to see a LOT of bolt bounce with that much weight moving & no moving weight inside to help offset that. Watch a high speed video of a 9mm buffer. You're already heavier than those and with no moving weight inside. I don't know if that would be enough to unlock the lugs & leave you completely out of battery after it cycles but I would say you'd have a large risk for setting one off out of battery with a very fast 2nd shot or bump fire.

I guess I got lucky with my 300 BLK build. It just works. Supersonic, subs, suppressed, unsuppressed - it just runs, BHO on empty mag, etc. I'm running car length gas, H buffer, & no adj gas block with a DD 1:8 16" barrel. I use unmodified Lancer AWS mags for everything from mag length subs to 2.040 COAL 110 gr VMax or 2.075" 125gr TNT. Doesn't even seem to care about my filthy A1680 sub loads.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Ha ha, no guys, I included the obligatory 3 sliding weights with spacers. I used steel for the internal weights.

Spring has zero binding, no bounce, and the gun ran 100 rounds flawlessly today(more than it ever has without a malfunction), if there was some issue with the larger diameter, I could always take some more off, but it's harder to put back!

I'm pleased!

edit: It does appear solid in picture, the rubber bumper was a threaded version, and not the roll pin type, the other one in the photo was a stock 3oz buffer shown for comparison.
Kyle O.
Ethos

Post by Ethos »

i made one, i had a friend at a machine shop get the heavy metal for me used in the heavy buffers, it is the same weight as the heavy buffers people spend a bunch on, but with the aluminum body
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

been making custom buffers for many years, some for pistol calibers and some for rifle, some heavy some light and some that can be tuned easy.
If you use tungsten powder the noise like the solid weights slapping around is gone.
Made some changes to some pistol caliber bolts so they don't bounce and now make a thud sound instead of the laud clack
when shooting suppressed, much less action noise is nice.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

What would happen if one were to machine a buffer out of solid pure (~97%) tungsten?
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

LavaRed wrote:What would happen if one were to machine a buffer out of solid pure (~97%) tungsten?
It would be heavy and cost more than a enough stainless round stock to make a dozen buffers :mrgreen:
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I made one a few years ago for my internally suppressed AR too.

Mine came out at 5.5 oz.