Limitations for 9mm w/o booster

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CMV
Silent But Deadly

Limitations for 9mm w/o booster

Post by CMV »

I have a bunch of stuff in 9mm & the stamp has an inch of dust by now......

Original intent was to only use a 9mm AR, Beretta CX4 carbine, & M9 as hosts. As I understand it, the M9 is OK w/o a booster as long as the weight is in check. What "in check" is I really don't know. I would also assume that overall length plays a factor also - longer would mean more leverage and less weight needed to cycle reliably?

But I also have Sig 229's, 220 (didn't know they made a P220 in 9mm until I saw this one), & HK USP that could also be candidates. I don't think I'd bother with the little 9's like the P938. With max load 124 or 147gr ammo (either subsonic), would any of the others cycle w/o a booster? If so, what would be the recommended max length/weight to work with?

What about Sig P229's in .357SIG? (I have a bunch of P229's). Is there any point to suppressing that? Slowing it down to subsonic speeds with a starting load doesn't seem to make much sense & it's incredibly loud for a pistol - never heard one suppressed in person but don't think it would be hearing safe.

Will probably do all K's, first one Ti, remainder 7075, Ti caps & tube.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Limitations for 9mm w/o booster

Post by doubloon »

I have a P229 with three barrels ... 40S&W, 357Sig and a threaded 9mm BarSto made for me. People do roll their own 357 sub's but I'm not one of them.

Also have a RSR P220 9mm RH threaded 1/2x28 instead of the traditional Sig threading.

On all my pistol hosts I run my full size 9mm suppressor with a booster, few failures that way.

I also have a Poseidon I run on the Sigs with no problems but it's half the length of a full size suppressor and about 4 oz so the barrel unlocks every time for me. More weight on the barrel means harder for the barrel to unlock and eject.

Don't know much about the M9 without googling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Re: Limitations for 9mm w/o booster

Post by gunny50 »

shooting 357 sig subsonic is same as shooting 9x19 subsonic. no gain in that.
you can buy or make 140 - 158 subsonic ammo for 9x19. that will do!

As to what can you use without booster.
The longer you make the can the more difficult it will get to cycle.
You should see it as a extremely long heavy barrel in a pistol with a Browning / Sig Lockup that is NOT going to work.
More leverage is BAD for a tilting barel lockup system.
Even for the trusty Beretta 92 when it gets to heavy the cycling is going to be bad more weight will make the unlocking slower, with will result in ejecting and feeding problems.
So what to do.
Short and fat
Medium length and 30 / 35 mm will work when not to heavy do not overbuild, or go all stainless etc.
They can NOT be heavy, go Ti / 7075, 1 stainless blast baffle MAX.
Caps in Ti or 7075, machine an thread insert for the cap so it does not wear out.

Gunny