Stainless steel freeze plug sources

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

tripntx
Silent Operator

Stainless steel freeze plug sources

Post by tripntx »

Please post links to where stainless steel freeze plugs (expansion plugs) can be purchased, in sizes which suitable for use in tubing/piping for home builders. I really want to build a 30 cal, but all I can find are zinc plated in the size I would need.

BTW, if I have to settle on zinc coated, can they be sent somewhere to have melonite or NiBX treated at a reasonable cost? The treatment would need to take place after form 1 has been approved so they can be formed and drilled prior to treatment.
srs
Silent Operator

Re: Stainless steel freeze plug sources

Post by srs »

have you considered stainless fender washers and using some stainless tube for spacers? McMaster-Carr or someplace similar would carry that.
tripntx
Silent Operator

Post by tripntx »

srs wrote:have you considered stainless fender washers and using some stainless tube for spacers? McMaster-Carr or someplace similar would carry that.
No I hadn't. Thank you for the suggestion, it will work if I can't find SS freeze plugs.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

tripntx wrote:P
BTW, if I have to settle on zinc coated, can they be sent somewhere to have melonite or NiBX treated at a reasonable cost? The treatment would need to take place after form 1 has been approved so they can be formed and drilled prior to treatment.
Last I checked melonite was only for ss. Only an 07/02 can melonite silencer parts.
wheelwrench

Post by wheelwrench »

McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) has tubing. Search "seamless tubing" and you'll find what you need.

Napa has some stainless plugs, and more galvanized plugs in the sizes you're looking for. Search "steel expansion plug" or "stainless expansion plug."

Best of luck to you!
desertland

Post by desertland »

desertland

Post by desertland »

Just got a quote from them for 1 1/2" SS plugs 1.48 each min. 30 at 44.40 + shipping. In my case shipping was another $5.00
rodpiper

Post by rodpiper »

Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Grainger has some stainless seamless tubing on clearance 1.5" od 1.37 ID 6ft for $66.00 rated for 1000psi
Seemed like a good deal I picked up a 6footer
NRA Life Member
tripntx
Silent Operator

Post by tripntx »

Thanks for all the information.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Would there be any issues in buying a minimum order of freeze plugs, and reselling them? As long as they are totally unaltered, just a standard freeze plug would that be ok?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

mr fixit wrote:Would there be any issues in buying a minimum order of freeze plugs, and reselling them? As long as they are totally unaltered, just a standard freeze plug would that be ok?
You can sell them as freeze plugs on fleabay or other site.Selling them here could be interpreted as intent to sell suppressor parts.If you are going to do it buy and sell the best!
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895