30 Cal QD Form 1 build

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Re: 30 Cal QD Form 1 build

Post by gunny50 »

Did you machine both lower and upper yourself as well?

As lower is also Diamond X custom engraved.

Really nice looking combo.

Did you make pictures of the milling work?
How much room is inside that handguard?

Gunny.
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

Thanks. I machined the lower from an 80% Billet and did the engraving myself with an electro etcher. The upper is a Mega billet. The barrel I turned myself from a blank to my own custom profile and designed it for a future 2 point suppressor. The handguard is a Head Down Provectus that is actually made by Seekins. It was a blemished sale item for $90 back at Xmas and has a 1.8" ID.
There are no "ex-Marines", just Marines who arent active anymore.
zach540

Post by zach540 »

Thank you for posting this build, I too recently received an approved stamp for a 30 cal can. Do you mind sharing the overall dimensions for the can? Length and diameter?

Thanks,
Zach
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

zach540 wrote:Thank you for posting this build, I too recently received an approved stamp for a 30 cal can. Do you mind sharing the overall dimensions for the can? Length and diameter?

Thanks,
Zach
Your O.D. for a 30 can is a personal preference of 1.5 or 1.625. You length depends on a lot of personal preferences also. Are you going for compact, supersonic or sub-sonic or both? Just lots of factors. If you peruse the thread listing completed builds you will find a number of very nice builds. You'll soon get a sense for what your build will be after reading on all the info posted. There's LOTS of great information on this site.
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

My can is 1.5" OD and 9.25" long. As Rocker said, there is no set dimensions in this game. You can tailor your can to any length/width you want based on baffle type, type of attachment, materials, intended use, etc... There are a lot of very good examples of cans on here so with a little research you will be able to design a fairly good can.
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

Finally got to the range with the can and shot it on 2 hosts. First is my 19.5" 308 with full power 178gr ammo. On the bolt gun, no accuracy was lost at all and the POI shift was exactly 0.5mil up and repeatable.

http://youtu.be/9miGQ2g6w4Y?t=4s

Second is on my 9.75" Blackout with factory 220gr Remington subs. Just have a red dot on this on so I cant speak to change in POA/POI.

http://youtu.be/qNTPEjlt8I8
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

(I know this is subjective) How does the can sound to your ears both on the .308 and the Blakout?
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

McLarenross wrote:Finally got to the range with the can and shot it on 2 hosts. First is my 19.5" 308 with full power 178gr ammo. On the bolt gun, no accuracy was lost at all and the POI shift was exactly 0.5mil up and repeatable.

http://youtu.be/9miGQ2g6w4Y?t=4s

Second is on my 9.75" Blackout with factory 220gr Remington subs. Just have a red dot on this on so I cant speak to change in POA/POI.

http://youtu.be/qNTPEjlt8I8
Very nice. It's great to finally be using your project.
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

RPM509 wrote:(I know this is subjective) How does the can sound to your ears both on the .308 and the Blakout?
Im probably a little biased but I think it sounds great! I will get to shoot it this weekend next to a few other manufacturers cans and Ill be able to give a more realistic comparison of the performance then.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

McLarenross wrote:
RPM509 wrote:(I know this is subjective) How does the can sound to your ears both on the .308 and the Blakout?
Im probably a little biased but I think it sounds great! I will get to shoot it this weekend next to a few other manufacturers cans and Ill be able to give a more realistic comparison of the performance then.
Don't be surprised if you have a better can than factory made.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
vandev

Post by vandev »

Really nice work... wish i had those kind of skills.... I am looking to make similar design as i already have a SAS suppressor break on my 308. let me know if i can pick anyone's brain.

Thanks C.
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

Got to run the can in a match this weekend. After the match was over a few of us shot or suppressors side by side and I videoed it. Im in the middle. 300 WM with a Thunderbeast 30p1 closest to the camera, and a Tactical Suppressed Weapons 30 cal can on a 260 in the back.

http://youtu.be/3gJN-djj2oU