when do you prefer to thread and face the mount

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

maccrazy2
Silent Operator

when do you prefer to thread and face the mount

Post by maccrazy2 »

When do you thread and face the mount? So I am making progress on my first titanuim can for a .308 It will be 1.5od by 10.5 long. My plan is integeral spacer/baffles and likely a mount that is a reflex design with about 2 inches over the barrel. I am planning on tig welding the core together and then using .032 tube over that welded to the endcaps.
My original plan was to machine and thread the mount in one setup then weld/assemble. I am now debating on welding/assembling first and threading/facing as the last operation to make sure everything is true as possible. I dont think it will be an issue as the baffles/mount are a snug fit to the tube with alot of surface area keeping eveything in line. I will also be using a dial indicator on the baffle stack as I weld to keep everything straight and true. I have expirence using the tig to apply heat to straighten shafts so I expect to be able to keep heat distortion to a minimum. I have a lot of scrap TI to practice on before I do the can. I also just set up a dual flow regulator and a new gas lens setup. I will be using a welding positioner for the actual welds.
This will be going on my competition .260 most of the time and accuracy matters so I know I am over thinking it a bit but I want everything to be perfect as possible.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: when do you prefer to thread and face the mount

Post by Capt. Link. »

maccrazy2 wrote:When do you thread and face the mount?
I am planning on tig welding the core together and then using .032 tube over that welded to the endcaps.

I am now debating on welding/assembling first and threading/facing as the last operation to make sure everything is true as possible.
I remember the day my 5.56 suppressor with the .032 titanium tube blew up. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :shock: :shock:

Do your welding first then bore and thread.

I find if you recess the caps a bit it makes for a better weld.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895