Plastic (Nonmetal) Tubes

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

justin

Plastic (Nonmetal) Tubes

Post by justin »

I suspect this topic has already been addressed, however I cannot seem to find any posts when I search...

If I build a Form 1 can with a plastic tube, front cap, and end cap - is there guidance on how to mark it? That is to say, can I mark the plastic? Do I need to use a metal insert (as Glock, et al does)?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Plastic (Nonmetal) Tubes

Post by Capt. Link. »

justin wrote:I suspect this topic has already been addressed, however I cannot seem to find any posts when I search...

If I build a Form 1 can with a plastic tube, front cap, and end cap - is there guidance on how to mark it? That is to say, can I mark the plastic? Do I need to use a metal insert (as Glock, et al does)?
I don't think its a problem as long as the information is inscribed on the tube.I did some experimentation years back with plastics and found the limitations and expense was not worth the effort.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

The serial has to be in metal, just like a Glock, M&P, HK, etc... So you would have to embed a metal plate somehow.
justin

Post by justin »

Bendersquint wrote:The serial has to be in metal, just like a Glock, M&P, HK, etc... So you would have to embed a metal plate somehow.
My only question, observation really, is that the polymer lower ARs (mostly .22LRs) are serial numbered in the plastic. Without metal inserts/tags.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

justin wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:The serial has to be in metal, just like a Glock, M&P, HK, etc... So you would have to embed a metal plate somehow.
My only question, observation really, is that the polymer lower ARs (mostly .22LRs) are serial numbered in the plastic. Without metal inserts/tags.
Then they are not legal per ATF. That is why GLocks, HK's. MP15-22's, Carbon 15's all have a metal plate in them, to meet ATF's requirements.
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

justin wrote: My only question, observation really, is that the polymer lower ARs (mostly .22LRs) are serial numbered in the plastic. Without metal inserts/tags.
Which ones? S&W M&P 15-22 is a metal plate embedded in the polymer. TN Arms Co nylon lowers are a metal plate. New Frontier appears to be metal plate.
justin

Post by justin »

telero wrote:
justin wrote: My only question, observation really, is that the polymer lower ARs (mostly .22LRs) are serial numbered in the plastic. Without metal inserts/tags.
Which ones? S&W M&P 15-22 is a metal plate embedded in the polymer. TN Arms Co nylon lowers are a metal plate. New Frontier appears to be metal plate.
Mea culpa. You guys are right on this. Looks like everyone is using a metal plate. I was working under an assumption - I didn't check this out carefully. My .22 AR is the HK416 clone (Walther/Umarex) and it's got an aluminum lower.

Is there a requirement on the metal plates? Beyond 0.0625" high and 0.003" deep for the engraving/ID.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

justin wrote:
Is there a requirement on the metal plates? Beyond 0.0625" high and 0.003" deep for the engraving/ID.
Replace one cap with metal and engrave that if its still legal to do so.
You still have a expensive temporary suppressor that took as much money and time as one made in more durable materials.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895