9mm, steel or aluminum?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

friendlysniper

9mm, steel or aluminum?

Post by friendlysniper »

What is the preferred material for 9mm suppressor tubes? Steel, or aluminum? The baffles are being made from steel but I'm not sure what to use for the tube. Also, I don't have a lathe so I'm forced to use a pipe cutter of some sort. I'm not sure what type of pipe cutter to buy (preferably one that'll do both). I've seen a RIGID tool pipe cutter that supposedly cuts pipe but it is kind of expensive. Is there any other makers of pipe cutters that are made for cutting steel?

Somewhat humorous/sad anecdote: I recently messed up a copper cutter trying to cut a vertical foregrip in half.
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9mm, steel or aluminum?

Post by john.t.little1 »

I'd use steel if I were you. And use a hacksaw. What's your baffles gonna be? End caps?
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

john.t.little1 wrote:I'd use steel if I were you. And use a hacksaw. What's your baffles gonna be? End caps?
Freeze plugs and washers and the threaded end cap (mounting cap) will be aluminum or steel rod threaded and welded on.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Yeah, use a hacksaw. Then square it up with a disc sander and guide if you have one, rotating the tube slowly and pressing only lightly against the wheel. You can get pipe quite square this way. How do you plan to cut threads into the pipe without a lathe? A really big tap?
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

That was gonna be my next question.
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

john.t.little1 wrote:That was gonna be my next question.
I don't want to reveal my trade secret.. but if I must.. I'm going to weld a "solvent trap" adapter into the rod. Tricky part is getting it all perfectly concentric to the bore, and deciding whether or not I want to use aluminum or steel (which I still don't have a real clear answer for.. does 6061 or 7075 aluminum hold up to 9mm pressures? I guess I should've been more specific in my question).
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

Make it easier on yourself and do a maglite special..
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

If alignment is a problem for you, I'd say material choice is the least of your worries. With 9mm, whatever material your baffles might be is going to be blown apart by the first baffle strike. That said, the first baffle at least should be steel for that sort of power. After that, 7075 is both tougher and nicer to machine than 6061.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

My head literally hurts from reading some of this.
Buying a pipe cutter? Seriously why not just walk into a HD or Lowe's and have them cut and square a tube. I am sure if you are nice to the guy he will do it for a couple of bucks.

Ok 9mm but hangun, rifle, subgun?
You do not need steel for a 9mm.
If for a handgun can aluminum is fine for the entire can, you do not need steel baffles or a steel tube. Heck as stated in another thread you do not even need steel for a subgun can if made properly.

Seriously why not just get a replacement threaded Maglite tube or a rechargeable Maglite tube which is threaded on both ends and a couple of quote unquote solvent trap threaded adapter end caps and go from there.

Of course have your papers in order.
Ethos

Post by Ethos »

what handgun will this be attached to?

you may need a piston
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

Ethos wrote:what handgun will this be attached to?

you may need a piston
M&P 9c.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I have to agree that you should go MagLite. If you are buying a "solvent trap" already, why not buy a tube to screw it on to? If you buy the solvent trap piece and weld it onto something, you are nearly guaranteed to have some misalignment, at which point the rest of your work gets a bullet through it. For all the waiting and wanting that happens during the time between sending in the $200 and getting the stamp, you don't want to blow it to crap. BTW, if you do blow your Form 1 can apart, you can't do a re-do on the same stamp. The Form 1 does not include a Mulligan.

If you don't have a lathe, the MagLite and freeze plugs are not a bad way to go. It won't sound as good as K baffles, but it will be yours free and clear. Even if you buy the cap and the flashlight and the tools to center drill your freeze plugs and so on from Ebay at higher prices than you could, you will still be into it for les than the price of the stamp. It will work, and you probably won't blow it apart on the first shot.
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

jlwilliams wrote:I have to agree that you should go MagLite. If you are buying a "solvent trap" already, why not buy a tube to screw it on to? If you buy the solvent trap piece and weld it onto something, you are nearly guaranteed to have some misalignment, at which point the rest of your work gets a bullet through it. For all the waiting and wanting that happens during the time between sending in the $200 and getting the stamp, you don't want to blow it to crap. BTW, if you do blow your Form 1 can apart, you can't do a re-do on the same stamp. The Form 1 does not include a Mulligan.

If you don't have a lathe, the MagLite and freeze plugs are not a bad way to go. It won't sound as good as K baffles, but it will be yours free and clear. Even if you buy the cap and the flashlight and the tools to center drill your freeze plugs and so on from Ebay at higher prices than you could, you will still be into it for les than the price of the stamp. It will work, and you probably won't blow it apart on the first shot.
It looks like I'm going to have to do that because apparently (If I'm wrong, someone correct me) the M&P is a short recoil operated handgun and it needs a nielsen device in order to cycle. I can find thread adapters for two nielsen device son the market for maglite tubes. Unfortunately they're both for D cell tubes which is way bulkier than I wanted. Le sigh.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

"I can find thread adapters for two nielsen device son the market for maglite tubes."

Where?
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

jlwilliams wrote:"I can find thread adapters for two nielsen device son the market for maglite tubes."

Where?
http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/GEMTECH-L ... _p_17.html

They don't appear to have the maglite ones in stock at the moment.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

That's pretty cool. If they don't have the MagLite one, but they have the "Greatlight" one, why not get what they have and design your build around what's available?
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

jlwilliams wrote:That's pretty cool. If they don't have the MagLite one, but they have the "Greatlight" one, why not get what they have and design your build around what's available?
Found a place that makes solid tubes with compatible threading, so I'm gonna go with maglite.
Shady

Post by Shady »

anyone happen to know what mag light the sd tactical booster adapter fits ? C or D cell ?
friendlysniper

Post by friendlysniper »

Shady wrote:anyone happen to know what mag light the sd tactical booster adapter fits ? C or D cell ?
D cell.