My .223 - testing it out

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CMV
Silent But Deadly

My .223 - testing it out

Post by CMV »

http://vimeo.com/104972098

Did some testing on it today w/ the Rem 700. Out to 100 yds it's good & POI is about same as POA - not making any adjustments suppressed vs unsuppressed. But at 300 yds, I'm not on paper on a B27 full size silhouette. w/o the suppressor I can do 2.5" groups easily at 300 yds with this rifle so something is going on. Tried aiming at each of the 4 corners even so something is up there.

On my 16" AR the POI is about an inch high at 50-100 yds, but at 300 it seems to be the same - my 300 yd groups with an Aimpoint aren't really tight, but everything is in the black w/ or w/o the suppressor. With the 22 conversion kit in the AR, it sounds about the same as my other rimfire suppressors so that's good.

Build is nothing fancy. 4140 tube, caps, & spacers, 416 baffles. Diffuser, 3 K's, & 2 60° cones. I think it works well. Sounds like an unsuppressed .22LR -maybe a little quieter. The downrange crack is the noisy part.

I don't think I'm going to play around with working down a sub load. I think .223 subs are kind of pointless to begin with & this rifle has a 1:12 barrel so I don't even know if it could stabilize a varmint weight bullet moving that slow. The ammo I used today is the hottest I have. I figured that would give me the best indication of it's performance. It did seem a little quieter when I switched back to my regular target/plinking loads which are over a full grain less powder.

Gets crazy hot, so I need something to handle it with. No surprise there, but I didn't realize how long it would stay hot afterward. Are the silicone baking mats they sell at WM for about $10 sufficient? The Manta sleeve looks really cool, but $65 for what it is seems like a lot.

--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Re: My .223 - testing it out

Post by paper9 »

You have made a nice unit.
What camera do you use? The sound is good, seems close to actual, what software do you edit with?
Take an oven mitt, until you find a wrapper you like.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Camera is an Olympus SP-720UZ. It's a point & shoot with very high optical zoom. It was a shell shocker deal on Newegg a while back & I picked it up pretty cheap. Haven't really touched the DSLR since I got it because it does what I need & seems to take good pics for the most part.

I use the software that came with Windows 7 called Windows Live Movie Maker (I think it came with Win7 - came with something because I never bought or downloaded it). Don't really know how to do much with it, but can do the basic editing I need to.

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Nice work!

Yes, the silicone mats/mits are good to about 600f or so. I use them in my welding shop. But, I also wear kevlar gloves as well. The mats aren't real flexible and make gripping objects sometimes difficult.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Rifle 57

Post by Rifle 57 »

Nice work CMV and great photo's. I see you used 416 SS for your baffle's ,that is what I am going to use on my two F1's I think.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

CMV, let me know sometime when you're going out, and I'll help with spotting while you're shooting. Wife is heading to IL this weekend for a wedding, so I'll have the boys and won't be able to do anything, but after that, lemme know if you want an extra set of eyes.

I'd say start walking the target out from 100. Get a good group at 100, then move the target to 150. Lather, rinse, repeat. You should see what is happening pretty quickly. First instinct is to say its shooting WAAAAY low with the weight; depending on your harmonics, though, it might be throwing them out differently.

Byrdman
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

No clue about the silicon mitts, but if you open your action and set the weapon suppressor up, convection can help cool it. Mine stay hotter on a bench with the action closed a lot longer than on a rack with the action open.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Craig - whenever you're wanting to go let me know. I built a private range about 10 min from the house. Still working on it, but it's functional. Pistol area & up to 300 yds rifle.

No more driving ~1hr to Richfield :)

MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

CMV wrote:Craig - whenever you're wanting to go let me know. I built a private range about 10 min from the house. Still working on it, but it's functional. Pistol area & up to 300 yds rifle.

No more driving ~1hr to Richfield :)
Where is the 'Like' button? :lol:

I need to get my Savage Scout and Ruger American out there and verify zeros.

:D

We'll have to set it up. Not this weekend, though...I'm batchin' it with the boys. Maybe next weekend? I'll let you know.

Byrdman