How heavy does a suppressor need to be to require a booster?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

friendlysniper

How heavy does a suppressor need to be to require a booster?

Post by friendlysniper »

The suppressor I am building is going to weigh about 12 ounces when it is finished. Is this light enough to not require a recoil booster?

The barrel length of the handgun is 4 inches, and its a tilting barrel, short recoil operated handgun (smith and wesson M&P 9c).
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Re: How heavy does a suppressor need to be to require a boos

Post by RPM509 »

I don't think there is a set weight, even for the same model firearm as each one may be different enough to
have some require a booster while a few may function just fine without. Ammo impacts the equation as well.

The general rule of thumb is sub-sonic ammo out of a tilting barrel design is probably going to need a booster
of some type to operate correctly/cycle.

Try without, if it works, you're golden. If it doesn't, get a booster.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

friendlysniper wrote:The suppressor I am building is going to weigh about 12 ounces when it is finished. Is this light enough to not require a recoil booster?

The barrel length of the handgun is 4 inches, and its a tilting barrel, short recoil operated handgun (Smith and Wesson M&P 9c).
Its not only about the weight but how its distributed and the impulse of the bullet powder combination upon the suppressor.You have leverage effects and harmonics,resistance plus length factors.I think you will need a booster if you are doing the maglight can described elsewhere.

RPM509 +1 the host makes huge difference.
Last edited by Capt. Link. on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I made a 9 mm can that is only 6.4 ounces. In order for my Browning HP to function correctly with 147 grain subsonic I had to use a hot load (1060 fps) and cut down the already very light weight spring (8 pounds) almost an inch. This left the spring with barely enough tension to chamber a round. I had to check all of my ammo carefully to ensure it chambered easily.

It worked fine for 200 rounds but then raised ridges on the barrel locking lugs. I have photos of the damaged barrel elsewhere on the forum. The can is only used on my 22lr rifles and a 1895 Nagant revolver now. Eleven years ago it compared okay with an AAC can, now it sucks in comparison to the new models. Make or buy a recoil booster and do it right.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273