First form 1 can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

M1-Dan

First form 1 can

Post by M1-Dan »

Well back in august I got my stamp back. I had been looking over sub-sonics build along with others to get a idea of what i want for my first can. With limited use of machining tools I decide to go the freeze plug route. The ar I build this for uses the ops inc muzzle brake and collar system. So that was my base for mounting point , I used 4130 1.5id tube , freeze plugs coned and heat treated. I tig welded all the intervals in place as reassurance. The following are a photo of the internals and general layout along with a test video of regular 5.56 green tip being shot.

http://youtu.be/1u68sqVPr_8
M1-Dan

Re: First form 1 can

Post by M1-Dan »

Alright the link to YouTube should work now.
jfk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jfk »

Pretty cool. Thanks for posting!
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Id love to see a better look at the pressed baffles
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

I will see if i can find some more pictures. Here is a link to my go pro video of me shooting it today.
http://youtu.be/HXUeyet3nRQ
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

These are all I have to show what the internals look like.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

M1-Dan wrote:I will see if i can find some more pictures. Here is a link to my go pro video of me shooting it today.
http://youtu.be/HXUeyet3nRQ

There's a lot of pride in a nice Form 1 Can - especially at the range :)
desertland

Post by desertland »

Nice... just checked out your youtube vid. Have 3 form 1's back so I need to get off my rear end and start building. Did you use a small arbor press to dish the plugs or did you have a larger 12 ton shop press?
What was the heat treatment after?
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

I actually used a large bench vise , placed plug in socket and then used a steel bearing to push the center in. I found if you center punch it and make a large dimple when you press it the center will tear and start a small hole you can ream out with a drill bit. Heat treating I just heated all the internals up with a torch 3 separate times till red and quenched in water the first 2 times. Last I used old motor oil and let sit in it till cool.

I went over to my class 3 SOT Buddies house yesterday to show him the can. He was very impressed with it , we out some subsonic ammo through it and was very very impressed.
desertland

Post by desertland »

M1-Dan wrote: Heat treating I just heated all the internals up with a torch 3 separate times till red and quenched in water the first 2 times. Last I used old motor oil and let sit in it till cool.
After the three heat treatments, did you test one to see if it was hardened? Just wondered. I don't know much about heat treating other than some metals you gain nothing from it. Or at least that is my understanding. On my own I never would have thought to do it to freeze plugs.
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

I had attempted to drill one afterwards and was noticeably harder. Not sure what the actual hardness was but seemed to do the trick.
desertland

Post by desertland »

Thanks for the reply. I just looked up freeze plugs on the web and found this place: http://freezeplugfactory.com/contact/... Brass, Steel and SS in about any size one could want. I'll have to see what I can find at the local NAPA or Shucks and experiment a bit.

Any reason you used steel over SS?
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

I originally hadn't found SS PLUGS but now with that link I may order some for a future can. Stainless would be the best choice. Especially with stainless tube and internals.
desertland

Post by desertland »

M1-Dan wrote:I originally hadn't found SS PLUGS but now with that link I may order some for a future can. Stainless would be the best choice. Especially with stainless tube and internals.
Yeah, kinda answered that one on my own. Just got back from picking up some freeze plug samples. Brass was an option but no one has SS plugs in town. Picked up some steel to make a press form to see if i can squeeze 60 degree cones in them.
Did you heat them up or form them cold?
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

I cold formed them , I had a few that did however come off centered during the press so I had to scrap them. Just trial and error but can be a pita

Dan
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

Nice job.

Where did you get those high wall plugs? What is the overall length of your can?
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

I got 1.5" plugs from http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/mobile ... aspx?id=89

Overall was at 10.5" and it weighs 1.70 lbs.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

M1-Dan wrote:I got 1.5" plugs from http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/mobile ... aspx?id=89

Overall was at 10.5" and it weighs 1.70 lbs.
Thanks. What did you drill the bore to?

I'm thinking of doing something similar since Form1 efiles are coming back so quick.

Did you try drilling a pilot hole before forming the baffles in order to maintain your center? I'm wondering if that would work or if it would tear.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

M1-Dan wrote:I actually used a large bench vise , placed plug in socket and then used a steel bearing to push the center in. I found if you center punch it and make a large dimple when you press it the center will tear and start a small hole you can ream out with a drill bit. Heat treating I just heated all the internals up with a torch 3 separate times till red and quenched in water the first 2 times. Last I used old motor oil and let sit in it till cool.

I went over to my class 3 SOT Buddies house yesterday to show him the can. He was very impressed with it , we out some subsonic ammo through it and was very very impressed.
Most innovative!

A 'slap-the-forehead Why Have I Not
Thought of That'. :)

Excellent.

Thanks for showing.
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

I did try drilling the center first with a 1/8" bit and then forming , but seemed to end up more off centered. That's why I found punching the center to form a solid divot made the best cone shape as it really cradled the ball. Once they were all formed I pressed into the tube and made the end cap out of a solid freeze plug. Once the center was drilled on the end cap I then drilled all the baffles out to get as centered as possible and enlarged to bore .312 , I may enlarge next size up to just have a little safe room for when shooting 30 cal.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Nice job!!!

For a bushing that will fit over barrel with 1" NPT grainger 1MNK1 cost $3.29 its 1" NPT outside ( will fit over a 1" muzzle brake ) and .710 ID will need some sanding or turning on a small lathe to match barrel OD usually around .720 to .750 keep it tight and only 1 set screw needed or keep it really tight and heat it up and force it on the barrel to have a interference fit (harder to do). Grainger has them in stainless steel as well 316L.
The forged steel fittings are much better quality, then regular black steel.

Getting ready to send off my form 1 for a .308 can out of stainless steel.
NRA Life Member
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

http://youtu.be/xgE9ZOFBUhA

My latest video shooting subsonic and regular ammo through it.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

M1-Dan wrote:http://youtu.be/xgE9ZOFBUhA

My latest video shooting subsonic and regular ammo through it.
Well done.

Instructive comparison between sub-sonic and regular
ammo. No doubting that 'speed kills' suppression.

Many happy safe years shooting.
dred

Post by dred »

Congrats, great job. That is super quiet. (Respect to sub-sonic for his thread on his freezeplug builds) I plan on building a freezeplug Can for my 10.5 300 BLK. I watched your last video with the subsonics and noticed you manually charging your gun after each shot. Have you worked up any loads with subs which will cycle the action on its own ?
M1-Dan

Post by M1-Dan »

I'm in the process of trying to develop a safe sub load. But from everything i have read is you will have to manually cycle the weapon.