QD idea I'm pondering...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

wp6529
Silent Operator

QD idea I'm pondering...

Post by wp6529 »

Ball-lock, the same basic design as used in air hose quick disconnects and some hydraulic QDs as well. Thinking more like the hydraulic ones where there are usually 6 or more balls for a stronger lockup. Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?
Kuraki
Silent Operator

Re: QD idea I'm pondering...

Post by Kuraki »

The way they are used for fluid connectors wouldnt work well. They depend on buna or rubber seals to compress and the balls retain the fitting while under compression. However, I was thinking about it, and if instead of a sliding retainer, you used a threaded retainer with a taper in the bore, you could lock the balls against another taper with the , echanical advantage of the threads and create axial force that would pull the can onto the mount.
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

What about a spring inside the can that would hold forward pressure and the can could have little "nipples" that would slide straight on than a slight rotation and back forward a hair kinda picture the tract like a J
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

wp6529 wrote:Ball-lock, the same basic design as used in air hose quick disconnects and some hydraulic QDs as well. Thinking more like the hydraulic ones where there are usually 6 or more balls for a stronger lockup. Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?
It has been done US Patent 5,685,102

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis. ... 5102-1.png
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
wp6529
Silent Operator

Post by wp6529 »

Capt. Link. wrote:
wp6529 wrote:Ball-lock, the same basic design as used in air hose quick disconnects and some hydraulic QDs as well. Thinking more like the hydraulic ones where there are usually 6 or more balls for a stronger lockup. Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?
It has been done US Patent 5,685,102

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis. ... 5102-1.png
Well, that shows just how broken the patent office is these days. That most certainly fails the requirements of being "not obvious to one skilled in the art", as well as being "new and useful" as it is no different than the numerous other examples of ball lock systems from the ubiquitous air hose connectors, to the hydraulic hose connectors, or even the fluid hose connectors used on 5gal soda kegs.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

You buy a book to learn a friend gives you the title.
I like the Tim Bixler three lug mount as being stupid simple.
http://patentimages.storage.googleapis. ... 3426-1.png
There are variations on this theme made by others.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
calinb
Silent Operator

Post by calinb »

wp6529 wrote: Well, that shows just how broken the patent office is these days. That most certainly fails the requirements of being "not obvious to one skilled in the art", as well as being "new and useful" as it is no different than the numerous other examples of ball lock systems from the ubiquitous air hose connectors, to the hydraulic hose connectors, or even the fluid hose connectors used on 5gal soda kegs.
Yup--all kinds of examples like that. Stratasys holds the patent for 3D printing in a heated chamber/oven. All kinds of industrial processes have been done in ovens for many years!
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Knight does it, we have done it in 95 when we where testing some QD mounts for a DOD project, we did 6 - 3 and 2 balls and it would work in the std flashhider.
Held up great was faster and more accurate and did not need a special FH, can was quiter but I was just a small company and not that long in business than.
They went with the known giant. But that giant went on to produce a ball lockup system years later after all.

We threaded the collar that pushes the balls down, simple friction lock held the collar in place so it would not run loose during FA fire.
Just machine your parts to good tol. and you will be fine.

Gunny
kernelkrink

Post by kernelkrink »

The original Carbon 15 by Professional Ordnance used a ball type QD muzzle brake. The end of the bbl was grooved to retain the brake, had a spring loaded collar you slid to release. They offered a 1/2"-28 QD adapter so you could mount the device of your choice. Seemed to work OK.
Kuraki
Silent Operator

Post by Kuraki »

kernelkrink wrote:The original Carbon 15 by Professional Ordnance used a ball type QD muzzle brake. The end of the bbl was grooved to retain the brake, had a spring loaded collar you slid to release. They offered a 1/2"-28 QD adapter so you could mount the device of your choice. Seemed to work OK.
Mine wobbled. I'm sure that's more due to manufacturing than to stability inherent to the design, but it wasn't confidence inspiring.