Need Input

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

theserxtremedays

Need Input

Post by theserxtremedays »

First off I already have my form 1 in hand and have a second efiled that should be in hand within the next few weeks. I learned the other day just how little I knew on some factors.
I am looking at building 2 suppressors, I've been doing research looking at designs etc for years now drooling over the day I would be able to own my own suppressors. The first that I plan on building will be a direct thread in .30 I want it to be capable of handling the occasional 300wm or 30-06 round but most of what I shoot will likely just be 308. My other form 1 will be a 9mm can I want it capable of handling subsonic 300 blackout but that would be the highest pressure round I plan on going through that. Both cans I plan on being 10 inches overall length and 1.5 inches OD, .358 inner bore for the 308 and 0.408 for the 9mm can. The walls in between each section of the monocore would be .75 as well.
I have considered making the .30 caliber can a mix of titanium and stainless steel. With the initial 1 or two baffles being stainless steel which would also be the muzzle brake in the absence of the can. I was looking at Titanium due to weight, but the initial baffle out of stainless due to better wear and pressure ratings. Would I be ok with a Titanium tube or would I be better served with a stainless tube. Wall thickness would be 0.065-0.75 would grade 9 titanium handle the pressure of 300 WM rounds through it or would I be better served just using a stainless tube? As I understand it Titanium is about 40% lighter than stainless steel. The other issue I know is the heat transmission would I be better served to do something different than what I am thinking for heat transmission or is the main issue there the time to cooldown and not risk of failure? I am considering the same design for the 9mm and .30 caliber would a fully titanium suppressor firing 9mm up to 300blk be suitable for that?

I've included a few photos of some designs I am planning on partially using. I am considering a mix between the two baffle stacks I like the circular design seems like I could get good volume plus strength. Any information or wisdom you would like to pass down to a newbie would be awesome and greatly appreciated.