Steel mesh suppressors

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Simon
Location: LaVerkin, Utah (my CONUS HQ :-) / Glockland, Europe

Steel mesh suppressors

Post by Simon »

Somewhere I read that beside three main types of suppressors, lets call em the
"reflex / advanced baffle"
"simple baffle / disc & spacer" and
"hush puppy / wiper" type,

there has been a forth type using just steel mesh / steel wool. Is such a construction an urban myth or does it really work? Didn't the High Power HD use that principle, or was steel woll just used for the integral part of it's silencer?
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

There are basic designs that seem to predominate, but not 3 or 4 types.

Rolled screen around ported barrels, and rolled screen without spacer tubing work well in some applications.

The industry doesn't currently sell any of those, because people don't like to pay $600 for screen suppressors.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

I can't imagine steel wool being effective on any round that has any muzzle flash.

Steel wool BURNS. Try it some time. It's cool. Tie a wad of steel wool on the end of a wire hanger, ignite it with a lighter, and swing it around in circles.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I have owned a few cans that the wire mess had been replaced with Chore-Boy scrubbing pads.....I don't remember if this was a C-2 Mfg or customer modification, but the Chore-Boys held up and seemed to worked fine.
AAA
Industry Professional

Post by AAA »

green0

Not true, got a customers Mark White pocket rifle in earlier this year - it's a recent manufactured one. Take off the can and what do i see iin the back? Wire mesh - no s--t.

Mike
pmercer
Silent But Deadly

Post by pmercer »

There's a steel mesh in the sterling silencer.

viewtopic.php?t=11489&highlight=
poizzin
Silent But Deadly

Post by poizzin »

there is steel mesh in the back portion of my awc mk9
Supressors
AAC - 7
Degroat - 2
AWC - 1
Don Floyd - 1
Tros- 1
HCA- 1
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

AAA wrote:green0

Not true, got a customers Mark White pocket rifle in earlier this year - it's a recent manufactured one. Take off the can and what do i see iin the back? Wire mesh - no s--t.

Mike
That's surprising. The monolith is fully welded and sealed as far as I understood.... I don't know how that jives with mesh packing that sort of does eventually need to see replacement.

It works fine, the problem is that it eats volume, and leaves less room for carbon to go, so it results in shorter suppressor life than solid baffle designs in my experience. Of course that's what? a 1.25x6" design?

The sterling is obsolete. AWC is sort of an odd company in sound suppressors. Stuck in the past.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Chore-Boy has been used along with brass wool, steel wool burns up too quickly to be useful.
Also different types of screening such as window screen which is not the best, brass is better for absorbing heat along with different mesh sizes of steel, stainless lasts longer and is easier to shape.
But this is mostly old tech stuff.
Today's baffle systems are much much better imo.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Mousehouse
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mousehouse »

One of the best things we have found to use is a small chain that you can get at most hardware stores. I am talking about the one of the smallest size chains they have. Depending on what you are building will determine how much chain you need.

Worked well on a ruger mkII.
SilenceTheBlueJ

Post by SilenceTheBlueJ »

chain liek you hang a potted plant from?..never heard that 1 before
lawless
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by lawless »

The vidar or some other integral can is filled with brass tacks or something.
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

lawless101aa wrote:The vidar or some other integral can is filled with brass tacks or something.
John Norrell uses brass eyelets in his repackable integral designs.

"* Brass cooling eyelets for repacking suppressors. Ruger pistol suppressor uses one ounce, Ruger 10/22 full length Ruger 10/22 suppressor uses three ounces. If purchasing eyelts only please include $9.00 shipping when ordering.... $ 5.00 per ounce of eyelets"
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

jandbj wrote:
lawless101aa wrote:The vidar or some other integral can is filled with brass tacks or something.
John Norrell uses brass eyelets in his repackable integral designs.

"* Brass cooling eyelets for repacking suppressors. Ruger pistol suppressor uses one ounce, Ruger 10/22 full length Ruger 10/22 suppressor uses three ounces. If purchasing eyelts only please include $9.00 shipping when ordering.... $ 5.00 per ounce of eyelets"
Do you happen to know how big the eyelets are?