My TI .308 build

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

maccrazy2
Silent Operator

My TI .308 build

Post by maccrazy2 »

I have been reading alot on here and doing research and finally came up with a simple design I wanted to build. I have stamps for 3 cans so after some comparison testing I may change the design a little for the next 2. I ended up building this one out of titanium to try to trim a little weight over stainless. It will mostly be used on my .260 competition rifle but I may put it on my 300wm from time to time so I went a little heavier than originally planned for that reason. I originally set out to make a reflex design but after seeing how little of an area this would have given because my barrel is quite fat I just decided to make a little longer blast chamber instead.
So the specs are roughly, 1.5 .032wall grade 9 TI, 10.5 long, blast chamber 1.75 long .100wall + .032 tube, baffles .070 wall + tube, the baffles themselves are progressively thinner as they go ending at .100 end cap. All are made from grade 5 TI. The core is fully welded and the tube is a tight press fit over the core.
I used a miller syncrowave 180 welder, dual flow regulator for back purging, CK pyrex gas lens kit and 1/16 tungston. I test welded the cutoffs from the baffles and then smashed them with a hammer to test weld penetration/stregenth. I expected to do quite a bit of test welding on some scrap I ordered to practice on but the first test weld went great so I just let it fly on the core. It came out great with no oxygen contamination. The only issue was the core took on a little bow during welding. I tried to keep the welds spaced and 180deg from eachother as i went and I used alot of tac welds before starting. The baffles all slip fit together and I used a threaded rod to keep lite tension on the stack while welding. I also used a brass fitting and perforated drain to backpurge argon during welding.
after tacking the stack was running true between centers. after welding the core I had a .020 bow in the center of the stack. I spent about 2 hours carefully spot heating and cooling the core with the tig to straighten it. It took a while but I got it back straight. My next build I will be working on a weld positioner first and just doing a single run around the core in one shot and likely will leave enough material on each baffle so I and true each one after welding. then I can cut the final od and id after welding each individual baffle. It seems this would be the easiest way of achiving a dead true core and eliminating heat distortion. I dont know how much is normal as I have not worked with TI before. It seems to be alot to me though.
So anyway here are some photos I took while in the shop. I got to the range today and test fired 35 rounds and it went great. POI moved down .2mil with it attached. I only had time to run to the indoor range so I am not sure about sound but it seemed good. I pulled my ear plugs for 1 shot and it was not bad at all, no ringing ears which is good. I made a few more cuts not shown in the pictures and relieved the mount down to barrel diameter to shave some weight. it ended up at 21oz which is a little heavier than I wanted but like I said I wanted to make sure it would be safe on the 300wm. If I would of gone with my original dimensions I think it would of been closer to 19oz.
maccrazy2
Silent Operator

Re: My TI .308 build

Post by maccrazy2 »

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Good job with the welds!
vandev

Post by vandev »

really nice....
maccrazy2
Silent Operator

Post by maccrazy2 »

Thanks. I was concerned about welding but found it to be easier than aluminum. You can see how much heat you are putting into the metal. The setup helps a lot. It made it easy to get good gas coverage. However if I do full 360 welds in one shot it will still need a trailing cup to keep the weld shielded
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

looks real good man I'm glad to see more Ti cans being made I think the welding was why people stayed away but its actually really nice to weld. May be a little thick in places but with Ti the weight is negligible and safer with the 300wm. All in all man its a sound build and great info for future builders!
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
vandev

Post by vandev »

john.t.little1 wrote:looks real good man I'm glad to see more Ti cans being made I think the welding was why people stayed away but its actually really nice to weld. May be a little thick in places but with Ti the weight is negligible and safer with the 300wm. All in all man its a sound build and great info for future builders!
Is building a no welded different than having a serviceable Ti can? I take it by your avatar your a skydiver? i ask as i jump as well and are in florida.

Thx Chris
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I did not get a chance to congratulate you on this build.After reading your post its obvious that you are a craftsmen.Your description of the welding and careful straightening it took is a testament to patience and skill.I hope someday to to add Tig to my construction skills but doubt that I will ever match the level that has been demonstrated here.Keep up the fine work.CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

Looks nice and I really need to make a can for my FN SPR in .308.

I run the same welder and its been a lifesaver for various projects.

Branded for life, in more ways than one
cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

What was the total completed weight ?

Also where did you end up buying the Ti tube from?
Branded for life, in more ways than one
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

vandev wrote:Is building a no welded different than having a serviceable Ti can? I take it by your avatar your a skydiver? i ask as i jump as well and are in florida.

Thx Chris

Serviceable and no weld "thread together" to me would mean the same thing. But really isn't a need to service centerfire cans the census is do a mag dump and it cleans out buildup. I haven't jumped in a long time man.
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
vandev

Post by vandev »

john.t.little1 wrote:
vandev wrote:Is building a no welded different than having a serviceable Ti can? I take it by your avatar your a skydiver? i ask as i jump as well and are in florida.

Thx Chris

Serviceable and no weld "thread together" to me would mean the same thing. But really isn't a need to service centerfire cans the census is do a mag dump and it cleans out buildup. I haven't jumped in a long time man.

thx... chris
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Classic perfect form 1. Great job!
LP
maccrazy2
Silent Operator

Post by maccrazy2 »

Thanks guys. I got out this weekend to shoot it at the outdoor range. I am quite pleased with the results. I popped out my earplugs for a few rounds and it was quiet enough I would feel comfortable shooting it without them however I will still use them just to be safe.
My zero was .2 mil lower than without the can. I rezeroed the scope and ran targets out to 1000yds. All my dope was still dead on. I am looking forward to building the next one
joe0121
Senior Silent Operator

Post by joe0121 »

How was machining the grade 5 Ti? I am also doing a ti .308 can. you using a manual lathe? Carbide or HSS tooling?
maccrazy2
Silent Operator

Post by maccrazy2 »

machines fine but I had a hell of a time drilling it for some reason. I used indexable carbide tooling and it turns great. I would strongly recomend a flood coolant system. I made a test cut dry when I first got the Ti. it made a short ribbon about 3inches long and then caught on fire. That was a fixed carbide tool.
It cuts like aluminum but i can hear the machine working a little harder than a comperable cut.
maccrazy2
Silent Operator

Post by maccrazy2 »

oh yeah, all manual but the engraving. I did that on a cnc
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

NICE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Nice can on a nice stick.

Welding Ti isn't the big deal many folks make it out to be. It can go south immediately but it's really all about gas coverage and going slowly to reduce heat build-up. Titanium is one of may favorites to weld actually. Gas coverage is the all important thing - but once you've got that licked, titanium welds can be extremely pretty. I've got a chamber to weld it in and that helps a bunch. There's a guy here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=128549 who built a shop-made one for little that worked really well.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
maccrazy2
Silent Operator

Post by maccrazy2 »

I met up with some friends today and did a side by side comparison. The thunderbeast kicked my butt. Lol I was shooting a .260 and he had a 6mm creedmore. Not an exact Apple to Apple comparison but close enough. From behind my gun they sounded the same but when I stood between both rifles and had a friend shoot mine for me it was obvious mine was a bit louder.
However I did not expect mine to be equal. I am more than pleased with the results. I may try some fancier designs on the baffles on the next can but as for this one I am just glad it is done and on the rifle.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

maccrazy2 wrote:I met up with some friends today and did a side by side comparison. The thunderbeast kicked my butt. Lol I was shooting a .260 and he had a 6mm creedmore. Not an exact Apple to Apple comparison but close enough. From behind my gun they sounded the same but when I stood between both rifles and had a friend shoot mine for me it was obvious mine was a bit louder.
However I did not expect mine to be equal. I am more than pleased with the results. I may try some fancier designs on the baffles on the next can but as for this one I am just glad it is done and on the rifle.
You did a great job,
You will gain some DB by placing 2 more baffles in the same space you have with the last 2 baffles so 4 instead of 2 right now.
Easy solution for great result. Your coned baffle is fine, Maybe clip some baffles but leave blast and last uncut!!
Maybe change the inside of your end cap. ;-)

Gunny