questions about an old form1 22LR suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

srs
Silent Operator

questions about an old form1 22LR suppressor

Post by srs »

My neighbor's grandfather built this Form 1 suppressor back in the late 70's or 80's, he is a little hazy on the details and the docs are in a safety deposit box so I have not seen them. The grandfather has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and is putting his affairs in order, he would like to transfer this to his grandson via form 5.

We shoot together and he has asked me some questions that I'm not sure about the answers.
1. Does the Form 5 transfer only happen after death, or can it happen prior?
2. Performance is marginal on this. What can be done to improve it? I know it must go to an 07 SOT for any new parts.
3. Could any improvements be made by removing some material from the baffles to make them more cone-like? Overall length is 8 3/4", baffles are 3/8" thick.
4. If he sends it to an 07, what type of baffles would be optimum? I'm thinking clipped K's with a new rear assembly.
5. After talking to the grandfather, I'm not convinced he built this from scratch, I think it was a kit that he built on a Form 1. Any clues on the origin?

Bullet path is from left to right, 1/2x28 threads, the top of the baffles point left in this picture. The left endcap and drilled spacer are steel, baffles are aluminum. I think the endcap threads are 15/16x32.

The baffles are flipped over in this picture.

Thanks,
Steve
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: questions about an old form1 22LR suppressor

Post by Bendersquint »

1- A Form5 can only be filed after the passing as it must include a death certificate to be eligible for the tax free transfer. If he wants to get it going now he would have to pay a stamp now.

2- It can be recored and with modern internals that would be a hig end performer.

3- i wouldnt be modifing the can, performance increase would be minimal, all about the baffle design.

4- baffle design will depend on the manufacturer and said manufacturers capability or lack thereof. We would go either the k route or pillar baffles but thats depending on the dimensions.

5- no clue the origin, may have heen a kit or some hackjob. You saw the can, who is ejgraved as the maker?
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

Bendersquint wrote:1- A Form5 can only be filed after the passing as it must include a death certificate to be eligible for the tax free transfer. If he wants to get it going now he would have to pay a stamp now.
That's what I thought, he will wait and transfer it into a Trust he is putting together now with his lawyer.

2- It can be recored and with modern internals that would be a hig end performer.
excellent!

3- i wouldnt be modifing the can, performance increase would be minimal, all about the baffle design.
ok

4- baffle design will depend on the manufacturer and said manufacturers capability or lack thereof. We would go either the k route or pillar baffles but thats depending on the dimensions.
1" OD tube, 8" long. I can go measure the ID if required.

5- no clue the origin, may have heen a kit or some hackjob. You saw the can, who is engraved as the maker?
Only his name, city/state, SN. No indication of any other manufacturer.
danb35
Silent Operator

Post by danb35 »

Transferring into a trust is also going to be a taxable transfer, and depending on his condition, that transfer may not even complete before his death. It also won't really do anything to ease or speed the transfer to his grandson. If he wants the suppressor to go to his grandson on his death, the best (i.e., least expensive and most direct) way to accomplish that would be via his will.
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

Bendersquint wrote: ... We would go either the k route or pillar baffles but thats depending on the dimensions. ...
Pillar Baffle is a new one for me. Can you elaborate and/or provide pictures?

Also, the more I look at this picture, the more I think that the only salvageable part is the serialized tube. I'm going to recommend he send it to you for a complete internal replacement after he gets the transfer done.

Thanks,
Steve
Last edited by srs on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

srs wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:1- A Form5 can only be filed after the passing as it must include a death certificate to be eligible for the tax free transfer. If he wants to get it going now he would have to pay a stamp now.
That's what I thought, he will wait and transfer it into a Trust he is putting together now with his lawyer.

excellent!

ok

1" OD tube, 8" long. I can go measure the ID if required.

5- no clue the origin, may have heen a kit or some hackjob. You saw the can, who is engraved as the maker?
Only his name, city/state, SN. No indication of any other manufacturer.
You get one free transfer of the item upon his passing, be smart about where it goes.

That means he was the manufacturer of the item, so either just a stright Form1, or a kit Form1 from back int he day when it was allowed.

8" tube has the potential to be an amazing can.
srs
Silent Operator

Post by srs »

danb35 wrote:Transferring into a trust is also going to be a taxable transfer, and depending on his condition, that transfer may not even complete before his death. It also won't really do anything to ease or speed the transfer to his grandson. If he wants the suppressor to go to his grandson on his death, the best (i.e., least expensive and most direct) way to accomplish that would be via his will.
The grandson is having a trust created. The grandfather will specify in his will that the suppressor should go to the trust his grandson has created. I think that will work. He has not asked that question of his attorney yet.

At least, that is my understanding of their current plan.

The old man is amazingly upbeat and proactive about the disposition of his property. He has been gifting each child and grandchild the max the IRS allows without tax implications (I think $10k) each year for many years now, prior to his current diagnosis. All he really has left to deal with is a few cars and a fairly massive gun collection, which includes 3 NFA items. I'm even getting a few Dillon reloading items that are duplicates for the family members. I feel very blessed to know these folks.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

srs wrote:
danb35 wrote:Transferring into a trust is also going to be a taxable transfer, and depending on his condition, that transfer may not even complete before his death. It also won't really do anything to ease or speed the transfer to his grandson. If he wants the suppressor to go to his grandson on his death, the best (i.e., least expensive and most direct) way to accomplish that would be via his will.
The grandson is having a trust created. The grandfather will specify in his will that the suppressor should go to the trust his grandson has created. I think that will work. He has not asked that question of his attorney yet.

At least, that is my understanding of their current plan.

The old man is amazingly upbeat and proactive about the disposition of his property. He has been gifting each child and grandchild the max the IRS allows without tax implications (I think $10k) each year for many years now, prior to his current diagnosis. All he really has left to deal with is a few cars and a fairly massive gun collection, which includes 3 NFA items. I'm even getting a few Dillon reloading items that are duplicates for the family members. I feel very blessed to know these folks.
Yes, that method will work to transfer the can.