Diameter choice

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Morgan
Silent Operator

Diameter choice

Post by Morgan »

About to buy tubing for a 30 caliber to be used on bolt rifles and ARs. I'm going simple - stainless with the first baffle or two machined. Considering stamping the rest, but haven't decided for sure.

Seems like everyone sticks to 1.5 inch diameter. Why not bigger? Considering 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 tops. Is it worth the extra weight?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Diameter choice

Post by Historian »

Morgan wrote:About to buy tubing for a 30 caliber to be used on bolt rifles and ARs. I'm going simple - stainless with the first baffle or two machined. Considering stamping the rest, but haven't decided for sure.

Seems like everyone sticks to 1.5 inch diameter. Why not bigger? Considering 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 tops. Is it worth the extra weight?
Though 'bigger is better' ( ask any dancer at a strip club :) ) the empirical results of determining the optimum
mini-max of length/width/weight/internal baffling/ material/final Db/
can be seen in the best commercial cans. They should serve you as a good figure of merit to start from.

Then there are the rare exotic and amazingly desirable extremes that
warrant the extra effort.

E.g. what I never cease to admire nor tire of
<< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GbjXvH7xJA >>
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

A 2.00 x10 can sounds better in many cases than a 1.5x10 suppressor.The cone style baffle will take maximum advantage of the diameter.Width dose not trump length but the added volume is welcome.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I think the only 2" suppressor design that made good use of that width was the MK9 series.
Where the blast chamber stretched the entire length of the tube and the inner core handled the baffles.