found stainless steel freeze plugs

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

found stainless steel freeze plugs

Post by mr fixit »

I got a quote back for stainless steel freeze plugs, cup type. I can buy 1 1/2", 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" plugs. Price is less than $2 each in quantities of 50 per size. Which brings up a couple of questions;

for the purpose of this conversation, my plans are to build form 1 suppressors for both 300 blk subs and supers, as well a second suppressor in .223/5.56.

Given that freeze plug baffles are technically inferior to cones or K style built on a lathe, would there be an advantage to getting one of the larger diameters for additional volume to make up for the performance loss of the design?

At roughly $75 for a bag of 50, is there a more economical way of doing a form 1 set of baffles, assuming I don't have or have access to a lathe?
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Re: found stainless steel freeze plugs

Post by c5_nc »

1.5" Tubes are more typical for that use, with 1.350" freeze plugs (or sometimes maybe 1.375" 1 3/8") SS plugs are harder to find locally but if your ordering anyways should not be difficult.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

The freeze plugs are not as good as proven design lathe turned baffles.

But several of them can make up for the lack of performance, you give up lower weight and smaller size.

The freeze plug suppressor I built, works extremely well. Most suppressors fired at night you see flame or sparks from the end.
The freeze plug unit I made has no visible signature at night, its a 13" x 1 3/4" diameter beast reflexed back to the gas block, adds 4 1/2 inches to the muzzle brake attached to the rifle. Here it is with a ls64 flir thermal unit I made into a rifle scope. Very effective night rig out to 200yds.

NRA Life Member
tripntx
Silent Operator

Post by tripntx »

1.350" - 1.352" OD plugs (34.3mm) is what fits the D Cell tubes. Can you get 1.350" (34.3mm) OD plugs in SS? I'd be interested in normal length wall as well as extended length wall.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Hard_ware wrote:Here it is with a ls64 flir thermal unit I made into a rifle scope. Very effective night rig out to 200yds.
Hard-Ware

I know its of topic but I would love to see more info on your Thermal solution.

Gunny
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Here is a link to a thread on the franken thermal.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo ... 692&page=1

I am getting ready to take it apart to sell the ls64, as I just got an armasight 336 75mm thermal scope.

Keeping ps32 for scanning, and the ps24. Pairing up the 2 thermals make a great bino with stereoscopic 3d view, easy on the eyes for scanning.

The thread has some links with videos.
NRA Life Member
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

tripntx wrote:1.350" - 1.352" OD plugs (34.3mm) is what fits the D Cell tubes. Can you get 1.350" (34.3mm) OD plugs in SS? I'd be interested in normal length wall as well as extended length wall.
The problem is that any single size must be bought in quantities of 50. When my paperwork is done I'm planning on using 1.625" plugs and SS tubing to match. I have considered purchasing Some to put on fleabay, but I'm not sure people want to pay 3-4 bucks per which is likely what it would take to cover my costs and make it worth the headaches.

Or I could just buy 50 and plan on making multiple of my own I guess.
cboger

Post by cboger »

freezeplugfactory.com,

paid 30$ for 25 stainless 1.5 inch ones shipped.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

cboger wrote:freezeplugfactory.com,

paid 30$ for 25 stainless 1.5 inch ones shipped.
interesting. they gave me a 50 piece minimum.