Bore size for 9mm cans?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Qasim

Bore size for 9mm cans?

Post by Qasim »

Hi,
I want to know what should be the bore size for 9mm cans for maximum performance?
Also if anyone know the bore size of (ospery 9mm and AAC tirant).
Qasim

Re: Bore size for 9mm cans?

Post by Qasim »

I was thinking about 10.5mm all the way.....
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Bore size for any caliber is +.060 over bullet diameter or .355+.060=.415
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
plodder
Silent Operator

Post by plodder »

Capt. Link. wrote:Bore size for any caliber is +.060 over bullet diameter or .355+.060=.415
So I should increase the bore size on my first Form 1 can before testing? (mine is a .22 with a through bore in baffles & end caps of .250)

I have threaded it onto a 5.56 barrel and sighting through the chamber to a light at the other end, I can detect no interference. It's getting close to first firing time and I'm a bit squeamish about that first trigger pull.
Still awaiting an original & riveting thought for signature line; stand by...........
quietoldfart
Senior Silent Operator

Post by quietoldfart »

I've found 0.25" quite satisfactory for .22"LR, provided alignment is pretty well perfect. My suppressor length has settled on about 3.5" ahead of the muzzle and as much behind, plus end caps for an 8" total length, with ported barrel on the pistol. The bore is true to the barrel OD so alignment is fairly automatic provided I turn everything properly. But if you have any question regarding alignment then yes, a 0.28" suppressor bore might be a safer bet. To reduce your risk you might try shooting through the can with just the end cap mounted, no baffles. That way having the end cap repaired should there be a bad strike would be your only worry, not replacing the baffle stack itself. And the longer the can, obviously the greater the amount of error amplification should there be a threading/shoulder error.
plodder
Silent Operator

Post by plodder »

quietoldfart wrote:To reduce your risk you might try shooting through the can with just the end cap mounted, no baffles. That way having the end cap repaired should there be a bad strike would be your only worry, not replacing the baffle stack itself. .
Now that's a good idea! I might have thought of it myself, given enough time. But maybe not :D
Still awaiting an original & riveting thought for signature line; stand by...........
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

.250 is pretty tight for .22 cal and there is no - or negligible - benefit vs .265. At a minimum you're asking for accuracy issues.

I used a 'Z' drill for my 9mm. Z or 10.5mm is a good starting point
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

9mm - 13/32"