Trying to keep it simple

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

muskymop

Trying to keep it simple

Post by muskymop »

Hi I just joined I am thinking of making this design of mono-core or a freehand type. The core would be out of 2.00" diameter aluminum turned down to 1.75 and pressed into a 1/4" thick tube . I have access to an older manual mill and older lathe so I am trying to keep it pretty simple. I would be putting this on a .308 and a 300 blk in sub sonic only. My question is what type would be better at sound reduction and is there anything to watch out for.
also if i put the core in the freezer and the tube in a oven and press them do you think any extra fasteners are needed? If they are I would try three set screws in each end any problems with this?
Thanks for your help
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Trying to keep it simple

Post by Capt. Link. »

That's one of my designs it would require some modification for larger calibers.It was designed for .22lr and has been used with success in 17HMR.I would suggest other than aluminum for construction in larger calibers.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
vandev

Post by vandev »

Would that design be similar to the fallen industries Titanium can? I was interested in this as well for my 308. Not looking for sound suppression as much as reduced recoil for quick follow up shots. Any input would be great.

Thanks Chris

http://www.defensereview.com/falken-ind ... ols-video/
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

You mentioned access to an older lathe, you would be better served making simple cones and spacers out of steel for the calibers you listed.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

BCJ wrote:You mentioned access to an older lathe, you would be better served making simple cones and spacers out of steel for the calibers you listed.
Why? it out performed all cone and spacer designs of its day.
vandev wrote:Would that design be similar to the fallen industries Titanium can? I was interested in this as well for my 308. Not looking for sound suppression as much as reduced recoil for quick follow up shots. Any input would be great.
Thanks Chris
My design dates from 1983 and features cross bore jetting and added turbulence within each chamber theirs do not have these performance enhancing features.A good muzzle brake will do what you need in a smaller size.Try JP industries.

The utter simplicity of this build has its own attraction.The first was made using a drill press only.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
vandev

Post by vandev »

Capt. Link. wrote:
BCJ wrote:You mentioned access to an older lathe, you would be better served making simple cones and spacers out of steel for the calibers you listed.
Why? it out performed all cone and spacer designs of its day.
vandev wrote:Would that design be similar to the fallen industries Titanium can? I was interested in this as well for my 308. Not looking for sound suppression as much as reduced recoil for quick follow up shots. Any input would be great.
Thanks Chris
My design dates from 1983 and features cross bore jetting and added turbulence within each chamber theirs do not have these performance enhancing features.A good muzzle brake will do what you need in a smaller size.Try JP industries.

The utter simplicity of this build has its own attraction.The first was made using a drill press only.
Thanks Capt for the reply... I have a break on mine now that is setup for a SAS suppressor. My friend has the same setup and there is a big difference between with suppressor and with only break. Would your 1983 design work better than the Fallen industries? I would also be interested to know machining work wise which would be easier as i am having a machinist do my machining for me so if i can save some money by using a regular cone baffle suppressor verses a mono core i would like to know.

Thanks again for all the help, Chris