Stainless 22 lr Micro suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Stainless 22 lr Micro suppressor

Post by BCJ »

Just finished this form 1 can. Its a 3.5" long x 1" OD wet suppressor for my little Beretta.
The end cap holds a 1/8" wipe. I have other full size 22 suppressors so this one is mostly for fun and to keep the overall package less than the size of a Glock 17.

For size comparison
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: Stainless 22 lr Micro suppressor

Post by curtistactical »

How's she work? I have been thinking about trying something along those lines.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Have you considered clipping some or all of those cones? Not much, I can see they're not all that thick and you wouldn't want to open out the bore by over-clipping. But just going down at one edge maybe 0.50" or so with a dremel or with a milling bit if you have one might introduce enough cross-bore flow to reduce blast volume slightly. From what I understand of ATF rules it's okay to remove material from baffles at any time, just can't put any new material in place.

Neat little can on a neat little pistol! If it's hearing safe with a squirt of water you're going to have a lot of fun with that.
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

I never thought I would use these words to describe a firearm/suppressor, but man, Its adorable! Are you using plain old tap water or some other liquid?
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

I haven't had a chance to try it with the wipe yet, I just got the material in. Without the wipe it still works surprisingly well with a little lithium grease in the blast chamber. I figured with the grease I could keep it charged and ready to go verses just water.

I might clip one cone and see how much the blast pattern changes on the next baffle before doing all of them. I'll shoot with the wipe before making other changes though. Hopefully this weekend
Scared_of_zombies
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scared_of_zombies »

BCJ wrote:I haven't had a chance to try it with the wipe yet, I just got the material in. Without the wipe it still works surprisingly well with a little lithium grease in the blast chamber. I figured with the grease I could keep it charged and ready to go verses just water.

I might clip one cone and see how much the blast pattern changes on the next baffle before doing all of them. I'll shoot with the wipe before making other changes though. Hopefully this weekend
Wire pulling gel or even astroglide (a water based personal lubricant) will work better than grease.
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

Scared_of_zombies wrote:
Wire pulling gel or even astroglide (a water based personal lubricant) will work better than grease.
I have some wire pulling gel, I'll give it a try when I try the wipe. The grease is nice that it stays in place
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Wire pulling gel will stay in place as well. I've used it in my Poseidon.

Nice work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

I think a comparison video fired side by side with the can on the Ruger is in order. :D

Nice work once again. Wish I had your toy budget to play with....looks like you stay pretty busy in your free time building Form 1's 8) .
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

daviscustom wrote:I think a comparison video fired side by side with the can on the Ruger is in order. :D

Nice work once again. Wish I had your toy budget to play with....looks like you stay pretty busy in your free time building Form 1's 8) .

I wish I had a toy budget, I build everything since I can't afford the commercial stuff. With the first kid on the way the forms 1's are about to stop once the last one comes in.

I plan to get a video of both. I shot the beretta once wiped yesterday and it was much quieter than expected. Once I have a chance to get out and shoot I'll make a short video of both.
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

Here is the link to a short video of the comparison. The micro actually had a lower tone than what captured on video. This was a dab of wire pulling gel in the blast chamber only
http://youtu.be/QNkOrmTqzr4
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

The micro comes across as a healthy step quieter than the full size can. Which suppressor is that on the larger .22"? I'm guessing the shorter barrel is delivering a lower velocity on the smaller pistol... but if it's the same ammo there's still the same volume of high pressure stuff being dealt with, and it sounds quiet, so good job!
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

I used Remington Thunderbolt in both guns to keep things even. He micro had a 1/8" wipe in the end (was used for three shots before video so it was in good shape but not new). I smeared a dab of wire pulling gel in the blast chamber and left the other baffles dry.

The suppressor on the Rugar is my first suppressor from 10 years ago. It a SWR Omega - Really a great suppressor.