How are companies making the "modular" suppressors???

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BenY 2013

How are companies making the "modular" suppressors???

Post by BenY 2013 »

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but I just saw another one. People throwing around the term "modular" on suppressors that are already on the shelves? Am I the only one missing something? The suppressors I am referring to are the SilencerCo Salvo 12 and the OSS Suppressor for .223 and .308. Both have multiple lengths. If you want a quieter gun just add another addition. Are they illegally selling these or am I missing something? And if I am missing something what is it, I'd love to do a "modular" .223 Form 1. Only if it is legal however! Also not trying to bash these companies. I personally think it is an awesome idea that seems to work well. IF it is cool with the ATF.

Ben
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: How are companies making the "modular" suppressors???

Post by curtistactical »

To start off modular is just a statement as you cant have extra parts for a suppressor however they can be modular in the respect that they can be easily adaptable to different platforms and attachments. The way the companies get away with this is they get the part (I.E. front cap/rear cap) approved by the ATF as not being part of the silencer but rather an accessory for the suppressor. Sometimes this takes deep pockets and lawyers to make this happen. I make all my standard suppressors modular in the respect they are not welded together so if you buy a direct thread from me and down the road wish you had gotten the quick attach you can send it back to me and I can easily convert it over for you since all parts of my suppressors are made interchangeable for any given caliber, because of the law you cant have the parts to switch back and forth yourself so when you send it in to be converted you don't get your old parts back.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
BenY 2013

Post by BenY 2013 »

curtistactical wrote:To start off modular is just a statement as you cant have extra parts for a suppressor however they can be modular in the respect that they can be easily adaptable to different platforms and attachments. The way the companies get away with this is they get the part (I.E. front cap/rear cap) approved by the ATF as not being part of the silencer but rather an accessory for the suppressor. Sometimes this takes deep pockets and lawyers to make this happen. I make all my standard suppressors modular in the respect they are not welded together so if you buy a direct thread from me and down the road wish you had gotten the quick attach you can send it back to me and I can easily convert it over for you since all parts of my suppressors are made interchangeable for any given caliber, because of the law you cant have the parts to switch back and forth yourself so when you send it in to be converted you don't get your old parts back.

I see what you mean like with adapters that may also work as an end cap of some sort. And I see no issue with that, it's just when the lengths get changed is when I start to question it. Like with the Salvo 12 when you have it in the shortest configuration and you have the rods and spare chambers sitting in your shop(unless they have since changed the design to not include these), are those just considered "accessories"? I didn't think you could have spare suppressor parts unless you had the proper manufacturing licensing? Or am I misinformed? Also I thought once you specified the length of a suppressor I thought it couldn't get longer or shorter unless it was approved by the ATF to become so? Both of these suppressors have different configuration lengths.... Again not trying to bash anyone or any product, just want to know the laws of all this. And if deep pockets are what it takes to have a "modular" suppressor I guess I'm out!

Ben
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Gents,

My understanding from reading several posts here on ST is that you can change the endcaps as long as they are NOT holding the baffles in place.
So a threaded endcap / end ring inside the tube that can hold several designs of endcaps / calibers of end cps is okay.

Maybe Bender can put some final thoughts on this matter. Same would be for the connecting side.
So have an thread / QD adapter that threads to the silencer but the adapters that you use will NOT hold the baffles in place.

Gunny.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

gunny50 wrote:Gents,

My understanding from reading several posts here on ST is that you can change the endcaps as long as they are NOT holding the baffles in place.
So a threaded endcap / end ring inside the tube that can hold several designs of endcaps / calibers of end cps is okay.

Maybe Bender can put some final thoughts on this matter. Same would be for the connecting side.
So have an thread / QD adapter that threads to the silencer but the adapters that you use will NOT hold the baffles in place.

Gunny.
All those features have to be approved by the ATF, and the ATF doesn't have an approval mechanism for one off Form1 builders, only industry can get those approvals.

"Holding the baffles in" is not a criteria either as other parts that don't even interface with baffles can be silencer parts.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Bendersquint wrote:
All those features have to be approved by the ATF, and the ATF doesn't have an approval mechanism for one off Form1 builders, only industry can get those approvals.

"Holding the baffles in" is not a criteria either as other parts that don't even interface with baffles can be silencer parts.

Rules Rules Rules,

Glad I'm not held back by those you all have to obey..

Gunny
BenY 2013

Post by BenY 2013 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll stop my rant or now.

Ben