Do Ports in Freeze Plug Baffles do anything for Suppression?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

1911rocks

Do Ports in Freeze Plug Baffles do anything for Suppression?

Post by 1911rocks »

For those that have been doing this for awhile; do ports in Freeze Plug Baffles really do anything or is it a "feel like I'm making an impact" thing? Has anyone actually read peak decibels (not weighted) of a Freeze Plug can with and without ports? Sizing , positioning, alignment with other ported baffles, number of ports?
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Re: Do Ports in Freeze Plug Baffles do anything for Suppress

Post by c5_nc »

I'm doing them on mine, mostly because by baffle stack is tight the AAC M4-2000 and Surefire 556 cans that are similar have tightly stacked ported baffles, they are among the best performing cans made.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

They create turbulence, size and positioning will make a difference. So yes ports make it quieter.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
1911rocks

Post by 1911rocks »

curtistactical wrote:They create turbulence, size and positioning will make a difference. So yes ports make it quieter.
curtistactical, et al: Size: Is it a ratio or % of the bore size? At some point in time the ports will equal or surpass the bore size. Number of ports? Enough ports and they and the Tube/Suppressor Body becomes an overgrown Flash Hider. Aligned with all the other port
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

I put 2 and 3 ports (so they will never line up) at 2.4" mm because the M4-2000 and Surefire cans appeared to have 3-4 at 2.4-3mm and I was playing it safe by undersizing it.
1911rocks

Post by 1911rocks »

c5_nc wrote:I put 2 and 3 ports (so they will never line up) at 2.4" mm because the M4-2000 and Surefire cans appeared to have 3-4 at 2.4-3mm and I was playing it safe by undersizing it.
Sound thinking! I like the idea. I've got my Form 1 back Yesterday and don't want to mess-up my supply of Plugs! :)
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

They will elongate in the forming process so if your doing holes before forming (and you probably should) do them undersized so will have pilot holes after they are formed.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

1911rocks wrote:
curtistactical wrote:They create turbulence, size and positioning will make a difference. So yes ports make it quieter.
curtistactical, et al: Size: Is it a ratio or % of the bore size? At some point in time the ports will equal or surpass the bore size. Number of ports? Enough ports and they and the Tube/Suppressor Body becomes an overgrown Flash Hider. Aligned with all the other port
There is no magic here, you don't want them to line up because that will create too smooth of a flow, keep it to 2 or 3 ports around .093-.125 diameter and you should be ok. All you are trying to do is get the gas to cross itself to slow the velocity down. Since its form one start with the fewer number smaller holes as you can always put more and make them bigger if your not happy with it.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02