Compact 40 caliber pistol suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Compact 40 caliber pistol suppressor

Post by BCJ »

I wanted something short to use on the bedside gun that happens to be a Glock 22; so a 4" long wet suppressor with optional wipe seemed like a good fit. This is all 6061-T6 aluminum that it type II anodized at home. It's a mix of Omega style baffles and simple skirted cones. The optional wipe is 1/4" thick 80a poly sheet. I shaved weight anywhere I could to get this under 4oz so it should cycle just fine; I will verify with a range report after the weekend.
I used a stainless steel thread insert so the aluminum cap is threaded 5/8-24 and I have two stainless inserts 9/16-24 and 1/2-28 so I can use this on the 40 or 9mm.

Glock 22 bottom, Glock 17 with SWR Trident on top
montage11

Re: Compact 40 caliber pistol suppressor

Post by montage11 »

Very nice. I have an Abraxas and a Nano. You can put twice the weight on the end of your gun by using a slightly longer barrel.
The Glock 34 for example, will cycle my Abraxas with a Factory spring EVERYTIME. But the G19 will Jam everytime even with reduced power spring. See my thread below for specifics.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123545&hilit=nano+success&start=0

What is your diameter?

My 6" wet abraxas with 9mm is quieter than my Dry Evo-9 or a Dry TiRant 45 using 9mm for about 8 shots.

When Wet how does it compare to the fullsize?

For how many Shots?
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

I haven't shot it yet but plan to tomorrow. I'll report back after the weekend
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Cool. I love compact cans. They don't make everyone say "Wow!" but they sure are handy.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
sickasssig
Silent Operator

Post by sickasssig »

Great work again my friend how many form 1s do u have if u dont mind me askin keep it up looks awesome
:evil: hey watch this
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

sickasssig wrote:Great work again my friend how many form 1s do u have if u dont mind me askin keep it up looks awesome
This is my 12th form 1 suppressor. I'm pretty much out of stuff to suppress and the wife is prego with our first so I don't see any forms in my future for a long while
sickasssig
Silent Operator

Post by sickasssig »

Wow 12 form1 s thats gonna be one happy kid keep us posted on how they hold up and congratulations on the young one life changer from experience
:evil: hey watch this
montage11

Post by montage11 »

BTW, if you have reliability issues in your can,
i have used the 180 grain subsonic 357 sig ammo from doubletap.
its $1 per round, but it overcomes the sensitivity of some guns.
i can run my micro cans on an M&P 357 compact with this ammo reliably.
great for shooting snakes and carrying suppressed,
...but at $1 maybe not the best target shooting ammo(although 300 blk
shooters arent bitching!)
-Mike
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

Its 37 degrees out so the testing was short after my morning hunt. The glock 22 cycles without any problems with the can on. The lithium grease I had in it isn't working as well at this temp. I'll try it with wire pulling gel next trip - I didn't bring any this time. It's seems hearing safe and much quieter than un- suppressed but not as quiet as the Trident on the 9mm.
montage11

Post by montage11 »

did you use the stainless steel YHM thread adapter? What thread pattern is that?
-Mike
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

montage11 wrote:did you use the stainless steel YHM thread adapter? What thread pattern is that?
-Mike
I used a stainless thread adapter from Precision Armament (same one as sold through Brownells). The adapter has 5/8-24 external threads and 9/16-24 internal threads for the 40 cal. I also have the 1/2-28 internal thread adapter for the 9mm
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

I finally had a chance to put a few more rounds through this Sunday, but this time with wire pulling gel and a fresh wipe. Huge difference over the lithium grease and it was nice and quiet, easy to have a conversation over shooting with my father in law.