Recoil Booster cross reference number

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Recoil Booster cross reference number

Post by Hatchetjoe »

I have an aac tirant and I had been using the solid spacer on a 92, wanted to put it on a HP since the bbl showed up. I can't find where I put the spring. Does anyone know the McMaster carr pn for a replacement or do I have to wait till I can send it back to aac for a replacement. Thanks.
rqlasl
Silent But Deadly

Re: Recoil Booster cross reference number

Post by rqlasl »

9mm or .45 Tirant?.......I have the Mcmaster Car number for the spring I used in my form 1 build that used a .45 piston......
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Hatchetjoe wrote:I have an aac tirant and I had been using the solid spacer on a 92, wanted to put it on a HP since the bbl showed up. I can't find where I put the spring. Does anyone know the McMaster carr pn for a replacement or do I have to wait till I can send it back to aac for a replacement. Thanks.
You will have to send the entire can back for replacement as the spring in the TiRant is classified as a silencer part.

It is also NOT a standard spring you buy at MSC etc... they are custom made.
Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hatchetjoe »

It is a 9 mm, sorry for not stating that earlier. A littte crazy to design something like this without a COTS spring. I've already sent AAC an email and yes I figured it would have to go back, I was just looking to avoid the hassle.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Hatchetjoe wrote:It is a 9 mm, sorry for not stating that earlier. A littte crazy to design something like this without a COTS spring. I've already sent AAC an email and yes I figured it would have to go back, I was just looking to avoid the hassle.
Why is it crazy when there is no need to use COTS parts? Its a silencer part, wouldn't matter for you if it were COTS anyways.
Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hatchetjoe »

Standardization for short lead times, multiple vendors, etc goes to MFG practices and AAC not needing to be a source for springs, To me a custom spring is at the same level as designing with a custom O-ring. Sure there are times when a specialty is the only option, but my feeling is that other than actual dedicated silencer parts the unit should be user serviceable. To that I know these configuration of spring must be used elsewhere ditto on the O-ring. As soon as I get the spring from AAC I will measure it up and I'm confident that some place like Lee spring probably has one in their catalog.
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

If the spring is considered a silencer part which if bender said it is then it likely is true, you aren't allowed to replace it yourself anyways. I wouldn't advertise it if I were. Unfortunate but true.