Handi rifle silencing

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Morgan
Silent Operator

Handi rifle silencing

Post by Morgan »

Any input on an integrally silenced handi rifle? Found a couple new for $200 out the door in 44 and 45-70.

Barrels look cyclindrical and I know you can mail them in and for about $100 get a new barrel fitted in any caliber they make.

Edit: More specifically, how do you determine port sizes/locations for best performance? Would it be possible to make ports such that normal 44 magnum ammo stays subsonic? If so, how do you figure that out?
Kuraki
Silent Operator

Re: Handi rifle silencing

Post by Kuraki »

Port size and quantity is something you would have to determine based on what your overall goal of the project is. Finished OAL, how much back bore in the barrel, how your device disassembles for cleaning, etc.

I also wouldn't want a barrel length that would keep regular .44 ammunition subsonic, since that would by my guess be shorter than 2". 44 Special, maybe. But what you're describing is really a handloader's rifle in my opinion. If you reload, you can make whatever kind of subsonic you choose whether it's a 2" barrel or a 16" barrel.

Last if I were to build something similar, I would prefer the 45-70 to the .44, because as a suppressed, subsonic rifle, the only way to increase the energy of the weapon is to increase bullet weight, and 505 grain pills out of a 45-70 at 1000 fps pack significantly more wallop than 300 grainers out of a .44.

This is somewhat interesting to me personally because once I've finished building all of the "normal" suppressors I'd like to have, I've always wanted to build a Delisle-ish rifle, but instead of .45 ACP, in 45-70 like the Gibbs converted Enfield I used to have.
Morgan
Silent Operator

Post by Morgan »

The big attraction would be the ability to use factory ammo - If I have to load subsonic ammo then the attraction seems lost. Much easier and more utility to buy/build a screw-on .45 silencer so it can go on more than one gun.

But for the education value - how would one design such an integral device if the goal was to be as quiet as possible? Size/location of the ports? How many normal baffles beyond the muzzle?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Morgan wrote:But for the education value - how would one design such an integral device if the goal was to be as quiet as possible? Size/location of the ports? How many normal baffles beyond the muzzle?
There is no cookie cutter answer for your questions.

What is a "normal" baffle anyways, there are dozens of designs.
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Elkins45 »

I know you can mail them in and for about $100 get a new barrel fitted in any caliber they make.
This is no longer the case. The barrel accessory program is being discontinued, as is production of these rifles altogether. If you want one then you need to buy it now.