Non-SBR rifle w/ long flash hider/ barrel shroud

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MMH
Senior Silent Operator

Non-SBR rifle w/ long flash hider/ barrel shroud

Post by MMH »

Thinking about making a AR15 300 BLK suppressor. Would want to have the suppressor detachable. Also, would want a short barrel for the 300 BLK - something like 10". So...

Would it be legal to have a 6" (minimum) 'flash hider' permanently attached to the barrel. This flash hider would be more like a permanently attached barrel shroud long enough to get the barrel assembly to 16". The threaded portion of actual barrel would extend into the barrel shroud. The suppressor would thread onto the actual barrel much like any other threaded barrel. The gun would be operable w/ or w/o the suppressor attached & w/ or w/o, have a minimum 16" length.

Obviously, all of this to avoid having an SBR while having a suppressed 300 BLK with an overall length just slightly longer than a 16" non-SBR rifle. Would this work (i.e. would it be legal)?
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Re: Non-SBR rifle w/ long flash hider/ barrel shroud

Post by Slow Hand »

I don't see why not. basically you are looking at building a 300 BLK version of the Tac Sol SB-X

http://www.tacticalsol.com/x-ring-serie ... b-x-barrel
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Yes, it is legal so long as the shroud is permanently affixed per ATF specs.
MMH
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MMH »

Bendersquint wrote:Yes, it is legal so long as the shroud is permanently affixed per ATF specs.
Good news! So, what is considered permanent? For instance, if I turn the barrel for a fit & Interference fit the shroud on w/ a heavy fit (2 mils/inch), I would consider that permanent. Would the ATF?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

MMH wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Yes, it is legal so long as the shroud is permanently affixed per ATF specs.
Good news! So, what is considered permanent? For instance, if I turn the barrel for a fit & Interference fit the shroud on w/ a heavy fit (2 mils/inch), I would consider that permanent. Would the ATF?
Pin and weld over the pin or 1100 degree silver soldered into the threads are the only approved methods.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

I plan on taking a 10" T/C bull barrel and blind pinning and welding a 6 1/2" long x 1 1/4" wide piece of tube to meet the regs. My can is 8" long and 1" diameter, so it will slide right in and act as a "suppressor shroud" and still be 18" long vs a 16" barrel and 8" can ( yes I will be at least 26 OAL). You are on the right track, it is easy and common for us who don't want the extra tax.

Be careful that the BATFE doesn't say you have a perm suppressor piece like the new sig mx.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Kanook wrote: Be careful that the BATFE doesn't say you have a perm suppressor piece like the new sig mx.
Oh please.
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

I thought sig won that "case"
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Bendersquint wrote:
MMH wrote:
Pin and weld over the pin or 1100 degree silver soldered into the threads are the only approved methods.
BATFE NFA Handbook (ATF E-Publication 5320.8 Revised: April 2009)

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Thanks Wicked.
Always good to get the direct Source so that we can read the Original Text for ourselves.

And thanks to Others, also. Any Case Rulings further inhance the Bench's Interpretatations.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

This is exactly what I am in the process of doing now. I plan to TIG weld the tubing to my barrel. It doesn't get more permanent than that. 10.5" barrel with a 6" long tube. Going on a AR platform rifle. My hand guard is 12" long, so you really won't see that much of it. I'm using 1.75" diameter tube, and my Form 1 suppressor is 1.5" diameter and 8" long. It should actually look pretty good when its done.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

My Sig brace comment was meant as a joke, sorry.
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Here is my barrel extension tube. The straight cut will be on the bottom, and the angled cuts on the sides. They match the design of my hand guard. This is still raw steel. It will be powder coated black.