apogee tubes?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

noisecatcher
Silent Operator

apogee tubes?

Post by noisecatcher »

Does anyone have a 8 3/8" titanium tube from apogee? I'm skeptical of their 7 oz.weight claim.
Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still.
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Re: apogee tubes?

Post by propeine »

I get around 12oz based off their dimensions. I'm sure threading takes off a portion but I seriously doubt it takes out half the weight.
noisecatcher
Silent Operator

Post by noisecatcher »

I wasn't sure if they turned down the OD once it's inside the threading or anything but I agree it would take a lot of threading to eat 7 oz of material
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Threading might remove .25 oz tops unless you are threding it like 4-6tpi, then might hit .375oz.
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

The dimensions are likely incorrect, there does not appear to be Grade 9 tubing commonly available that would allow them to produce them that cheap in that size and as you pointed out the weight is not correct. I think they are just threading off the shelf 1.5" 1.36" Ti tubing, like SDTA they are using 20tpi threading on already very thin tubing. Unlike SDTA the threading is chamfered (on their SS tubes it is at least I don't have a Ti one) so it is probably safer thickness. Diversified Machine is making these with 24tpi ends which would be better, 1.625" OD 1.485" ID

noisecatcher
Silent Operator

Post by noisecatcher »

I wondered if it was actually titanium pipe that had been bored out when they cut the threads but that's a deep hole to bore from one side.
noisecatcher
Silent Operator

Post by noisecatcher »

Diversified Machine is making these with 24tpi ends which would be better, 1.625" OD 1.485" ID

Do you have a link? Because I'd rather buy from them then someone that appears to be "over selling/ making up specs".
pmercer
Silent But Deadly

Post by pmercer »

I emailed apogee and got the following reply within minutes:

"I do not have the OD correct on our web site there was a typing error and then I copied it a few times. but i'm looking at my scale and it says 6.75 oz with a OD of 1.5 inches
Sorry for the mistake i'm fixing it tonight.
Jim"

I asked about thread type and form but it wasn't mentioned. Hope this helps someone.

Anyone know if this is suitable for a 556 can?
"Boi, you're in one hell of a situation. You're on US soil with illegal firearms." - Quote from US customs officer when he opened my suitcase and saw numerous NFA items
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

pmercer wrote:I emailed apogee and got the following reply within minutes:

"I do not have the OD correct on our web site there was a typing error and then I copied it a few times. but i'm looking at my scale and it says 6.75 oz with a OD of 1.5 inches
Jim"

I asked about thread type and form but it wasn't mentioned. Hope this helps someone.

The Diversified Machine product is better, but if you get the apogee DM can make the correct ends for your solvent trap. Apogee is using 20tpi also, but there threads are chamfered. [email protected] for quotes.
Delorvan

Post by Delorvan »

pmercer wrote:I emailed apogee and got the following reply within minutes:

Jim"

I don't know about the titanium, but I used the carbon-steel tube for a .223 and it works great. No pressure problems at all.
Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.
Dr Longshot

Post by Dr Longshot »

I have the 8 3/8 Apogee Products Titanium tube.

I can (pun intended lol) confirm it does in fact weight 6.7 oz.

My rifles are at a gunsmith right now for barrel threading but when they come back I will be making a thread. This is my first post on here but I have been lurking for about 3 years. I am utilizing SDTA muzzle brakes (5/8-24 and 1/2-28) so I can post pics and answer questions about that was well when I receive everything from the gunsmith.
noisecatcher
Silent Operator

Post by noisecatcher »

So as you measure it what are you getting for the OD and ID? I read on another forum where someone complained of a step in the center of the tube (length wise) as if the ID had been opened up from each end and where they meet in the middle it was a little off. They added that they didn't notice until they were putting freeze plugs in and things got tighter in the middle then loosened up once they were out of the middle have you put any plugs through/ in to it yet? With the ends on the tube what is the OAL I'm guessing pretty close to 9.25" I'm thinking about putting at least 10" on my form and update the alphabet boys later.
Dr Longshot

Post by Dr Longshot »

noisecatcher wrote:So as you measure it what are you getting for the OD and ID? I read on another forum where someone complained of a step in the center of the tube (length wise) as if the ID had been opened up from each end and where they meet in the middle it was a little off. They added that they didn't notice until they were putting freeze plugs in and things got tighter in the middle then loosened up once they were out of the middle have you put any plugs through/ in to it yet? With the ends on the tube what is the OAL I'm guessing pretty close to 9.25" I'm thinking about putting at least 10" on my form and update the alphabet boys later.
OAL with SDTA aluminum end cap and SDTA carbon steel rear thread protector/muzzle brake adapter rear cap is 9.0 inches.

OD is 1.5 inches, I apologize I haven't measured ID yet.

I hammered one baffle through and did notice the tighter fit in the middle as the plug traveled through the main apogee 8 3/8 D cell Ti tube.

As far as paperwork, it is my opinion that it's best to complete paperwork for a can longer and for a smaller caliber as this gives you more flexibility.
Fiddlewop

Post by Fiddlewop »

Their carbon steel tubes look awesome. A bit heavy. I wonder if www.sdtacticalarms.com stuff works. The titanium tubes are nice and they weigh what they say but sure would not use it for .556 too thin.
Fiddlewop

Post by Fiddlewop »

I know for any heavy/rapid fire a FA rated can has to be carbon steel
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Edit. NVM. 4 year old thread.