Bore scope photos. (large photos)

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ranb
Silent But Deadly

Bore scope photos. (large photos)

Post by ranb »

I bought this; https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-his ... 66-6316228& A 5.5 millimeter bore scope to take a look inside of my silencers. It needs to be brighter, but I think I can find a way to get it done.

A view of the muzzle brake that has been stuck inside of my 223 silencer for the last few years.

The blast baffle with the first K baffle in the middle. The 4130 blast baffle is still ok, but the K baffles are eroding away big time after +8000 rounds.

Last aluminum K baffle showing a chunk blasted out by a strike while using 62 grain ammo in my 1-12 twist SBR.

Blast baffle of 308 can with all 304 SS welded core. About 2000 rounds through it so far.

View of damage caused by baffle strike when a person I allowed to use the can did not check it tight after the first mag. Less than 100 rounds through the can when the damage occurred but it is still holding up well after 2000 rounds total. I think welding the stack together helped ensure the baffle did not deform more.

Blast baffle of all aluminum 510 whisper. About 1500 rounds total in the last ten years. I used to rotate the baffles to even out the wear (they're all the same bore) but since the internals got stuck a while back I have to hope the blast baffle doesn't wear out too fast. This shows wear after about 500 rounds since it was last taken apart.

Last K baffle of 510 whisper. Shows baffle strike, possibly from gas check detaching from a cast bullet.

Ranb
Last edited by ranb on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Mueller

Re: Bore scope photos. (large photos)

Post by Mueller »

Very nice! Looks like they're holding up pretty well. Little tool will come in handy.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

ranb wrote:I bought this; https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-his ... 66-6316228& A 5.5 millimeter bore scope to take a look inside of my silencers. It needs to be brighter, but I think I can find a way to get it done.

I love the scallopped edge in your 1st pic. Is this can bought or F1?
If F1, how did you create the scallops? Just cross bore w end mill? The added surface area probably helps w cooling and disrupting airflow.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

whiterussian1974 wrote:I love the scallopped edge in your 1st pic. Is this can bought or F1?
If F1, how did you create the scallops? Just cross bore w end mill? The added surface area probably helps w cooling and disrupting airflow.
All my cans are form 1. The muzzle brake is one I bought and modified. I had intended to keep it mounted on the rifle and detach the silencer from it for cleaning, but it got stuck inside the silencer one day and I was never able to remove it.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273