A little advice on this design please.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: A little advice on this design please.

Post by L1A1Rocker »

T-Rex wrote:Is that a spacer between the last cone and first baffle? Yes
I would think you could fit either another cone or move the first k into that cone a bit more. You know, after posting this and looking at it, I had similar musings. I don't know if I could find enough space for another K, but maybe another cone. I don't really know.

You have the blast area created by the muzzle brake so I would think you could move your first cone into the muzzle even more. How close do you think is practical? I'm about .4 away now. You think maybe .2?

Is the option to weld available to you? No. I have no way to weld Titanium, plus I plan a lot of sub-sonic cast bullets going through this thing. I need a take apart for cleaning.
If so, you'd be able to loose the spacers and save some weight.
Thanks for you input.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

Actually that design looks pretty good to me, you are making the K baffles different than I do but its still ok just different. My 762 suppressor with 2 cones and 3 K's meters at 127db on an 8" 300blk using Remington 220gr subs so you should be below that with the extra K baffle. I tried a bunch of different designs on the K's before I settled on the ones I use now but I will be curious to see how these work. If your K's perform as well as mine do your suppressor by design and size increase should get you below 125db. Keep us posted as this is always interesting to see how different designs work.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Post by Slow Hand »

Not to hijack, but since we are talking K baffle variants now...

Would it be of any benefit to cut an angle into the rear 'cone'. I was told that it's not good to have too much of a straight bore for the gasses to flow through, so I was wondering if using a boring bar to create basically a small 60 deg cone on the back face of the K would help with turbulence and thus decrease sound?
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Post by Slow Hand »

I finally finished up my 300 can yesterday. I went with two cones and three K's. First cone was a 30*, then a 60*. I used an SDTA 6" Ti tube and 316 stainless internals. It ended up weighing in at 21 ounces. It will live in my 8.5" 300 Blk SBR 90% of the time. I could have probably made it a bit lighter as pretty much everything, cones, K's, spacers, were cut to .10" thick. It is a bit louder than my SAS .30 cal can, but it is also 3" shorter, 8oz lighter and made by a plumber in his garage with a 90 year old lathe! I probably should have gone with the 8" tube but I was looking at knocking down sound and keeping it compact. It's still a couple inches shorter than my 16" carbines and swings just as nice.
A big thanks to Curtis Tactical for all of his suggestions and help.

Here are my K's after cutting the mouse holes on my drill press (the scariest part of the whole deal!).

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Slow Hand wrote:I finally finished up my 300 can yesterday. I went with two cones and three K's. First cone was a 30*, then a 60*. I used an SDTA 6" Ti tube and 316 stainless internals. It ended up weighing in at 21 ounces. It will live in my 8.5" 300 Blk SBR 90% of the time. I could have probably made it a bit lighter as pretty much everything, cones, K's, spacers, were cut to .10" thick. It is a bit louder than my SAS .30 cal can, but it is also 3" shorter, 8oz lighter and made by a plumber in his garage with a 90 year old lathe! I probably should have gone with the 8" tube but I was looking at knocking down sound and keeping it compact. It's still a couple inches shorter than my 16" carbines and swings just as nice.
A big thanks to Curtis Tactical for all of his suggestions and help.

Here are my K's after cutting the mouse holes on my drill press (the scariest part of the whole deal!).

That's very interesting on the front side of the baffle. Is that small cone hollowed out a bit in the inside too? What, if any, advantages does it have over the one I drew up on page 1? It does look like it may be a bit shorter making for a smaller can.

Do you have any drawings of that baffle, and how about a pic of those cone baffles? I'm curious how that 30* cone looks.

Congrats on completing your build. I've just started on mine a couple days ago.