spacer thickness?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

spacer thickness?

Post by rem_pss308 »

I need to know what the thinnest spacer material I can use. It will be for a titanium tube with formed freeze plugs.

I found 2.

one is .035, and the other is .045. are these too thin for keeping the freeze plugs from squeezing forward under rifle pressures.

or do I need to go .065

I haven't found any thinner than .035

the OD of this spacer tube is 1.375

I know someone here will have the answer,

thanks
I'll keep my money, My Guns, and My Freedom. You can keep the change !!!!
Samson104
Silent But Deadly

Re: spacer thickness?

Post by Samson104 »

I've used .035" turned down to .025" with no issues , although I was using a turned baffle with a shoulder to seat on it squarely
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I made .020" spacers from aluminum for a .458 socom can with machined cone baffles. No issues but everything fits snug.

Ranb
Last edited by ranb on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

The Freeze plugs will press into the spacers on the front side unless it is really thick. On the rear of freeze plug to the muzzle ends for the blast chamber I've used .035" and it works fine.
airsix

Post by airsix »

I made 0.035" aluminum spacers for a freezeplug stack. 300aac subs
After only a few test rounds the stack became a little loose. Inspection revealed the edges of the spacers starting to mushroom.