MP35N blast baffle?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Lilpooh

MP35N blast baffle?

Post by Lilpooh »

I have access to free MP35N scrap bar that I was thinking about "trying" to use for a blast baffle. The question is, how would this material hold up?

I've never machined MP35n before, but willing to give it a try.

Caliber 5.56 in a 16" AR, I don't do mag dump, just plinking with my kids.

Form 1 pending, and been gathering my material. The can is 1.792od x 1.625id x .083wall Ti64, threaded for 28tpi.

Mainly using scrap material laying around the shop, the only material I was planning to buy was titanium bar from ebay for end caps and forward baffles.

Thanks, Rich

propeine
Silent But Deadly

Re: MP35N blast baffle?

Post by propeine »

I'm sure that that threaded tube was from something else and you didn't start work on your suppressor prior to receiving your approved form 1 right?

Properties make it look like a bitch to machine. Any idea what state it is in? Appears to work harden quickly.
Lilpooh

Post by Lilpooh »

Yes, tube was from a flashlight project.......

The MP35n is in the annealed state. I've been reading up on machining it, and most are saying its a PITA!! But free scrap makes me want to give it a try.

I also thought about using D2 steel, then get it hardened. Unless I can find 718 at a cheap price from someone else's project.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Lilpooh wrote:Yes, tube was from a flashlight project.......
:roll:
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Bendersquint wrote:
Lilpooh wrote:Yes, tube was from a flashlight project.......
:roll:

:) :) :)

"Nurse Cromwell ..... "

<< http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/f/flashlight.asp >>
Dlob

Post by Dlob »

When I worked in aerospace I used MP35N in a few places where we needed completely outrageous combinations of properties... 300 ksi yield and 25% elongation in a salt water environment, things like that. It's a total PITA to machine. That said, if I were to go "the sky is the limit" and make a silencer with unlimited funding and unlimited time to figure out how to machine said PITA material, MP35N is what I would call the <perfect> material for something like a blast chamber and blast baffle. It's strong, it's tough (not the same thing as strength), it's corrosion resistant (to a degree that makes 17-4 PH look like wrought iron)...it's the whole package. Oh, and did I mention it actually gets stronger as it gets hotter??? (neat for a silencer, but it's part of the PITA machining nature).

BTW - if you ever find yourself with too many of these cutoffs and you want to get rid of some, let me know. I'll make it worth your time. :D
Lilpooh

Post by Lilpooh »

Well cutting MP35n wasn't too bad, wouldn't want to do it all the time though.

Here is how the blast baffle turned out. (MP35n).

cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

...I miss getting free bar ends to play with.

( Nice looking baffle )
Branded for life, in more ways than one
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Would making a whole suppressor out of this material really be that outlandish?
I wanna try now.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION