458 socom build

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

samson7x
Silent But Deadly

458 socom build

Post by samson7x »

What would reasonable thickness be for 60 degree cones in a 458 socom build? Would 304 or 316 stainless be better for cone material? Will primarily be using supersonic reloads. Would clipped cones help with this caliber as it does with 223?

Thanks for your help.
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 458 socom build

Post by BCJ »

I built mine for subs but used a stainless blast baffle and then aluminum cones 0.06" thick. It's not a high pressure round and mine has worked just fine. I did anodize the baffles
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

BCJ wrote:I built mine for subs but used a stainless blast baffle and then aluminum cones 0.06" thick. It's not a high pressure round and mine has worked just fine. I did anodize the baffles
So would 0.05" thick work for steel?

Did you clip your cones?
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

I did not clip the cones on that build. It was quiet enough to me without clipping then and I didn't want to have to worry about any possible change in POI from reinstalling each time I cleaned since it's not sealed.