.223 endcap thickness

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

.223 endcap thickness

Post by vaeevictiss »

So after building my first form 1 can for my .308 last year, i decided to make another for my .223 AR and bolt action. I may have made a small oops and figured id ask while i can still just toss it an make another.

I was putting the finishing touches on the end caps, and i was putting a slight bevel into the muzzle end of it (muzzle as in where the bullet exits not where it threads onto the muzzle of the rifle). Apparently, the bit was a tad loose in the tool holder and when i put pressure onto it to take off material it moved, increasing the angle of the cut. I didn't realize until i made the full pass, and the metal around the hole is very thin, right at .030.

the inside of the cap is flat so obviously that is the thinnest point. Is that way too thin or would it be safe? My thinking is by that point, the pressure isn't nearly as great as what happens in the blast chamber portion. Will this be safe to stick with or should i just junk it?
Scared_of_zombies
Silent But Deadly

Re: .223 endcap thickness

Post by Scared_of_zombies »

What's the dimensions of your can and what material for the end cap? If its 1.5"x5" versus 1.5"x12" my answer will change. All in all, I personally think its a tad too thin. I'd want 0.050 or so.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

im using 1.5" diameter and it is 7" long. The entire can (end caps and all) are 416 SS.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I'd go thicker. Call it an Oops while making the can. The can is not yet complete so destroy the part according to ATF recommendations and make another one to correct specs.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

sounds good, thanks!

EDIT: and what exactly are ATF recommendations?
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Atf recommends not talking about redoing parts on the interwebs. ;)
Kyle O.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

oooooohhhhh gotcha.

i crushed it in a press anyway lol.