07FFL SOT Silencer Marking Location Question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

msantimanzano

07FFL SOT Silencer Marking Location Question

Post by msantimanzano »

Hi folks, I am new here and am hoping for some insight.

I am an 07FFL, SOT paid and am going to be making some test suppressors. This question is in regards to our marking requirements. I believe I have seen/heard/read in the past, that
as a manufacturer we are allowed to mark/engrave our required information on either the tube OR on the end cap. At present, I intend to mark all initial suppressors with steel stamping....and therefore, doing so on the flat end cap is a best option for me. Now that I am searching for specific ATF/NFA info to verify that, I can find nothing. Do any of you have any insight on this specific matter? I appreciate any input gentlemen/ladies.

Miami Guns Range & Gunsmithing
MGR&G
Hialeah, Florida
07FFL/SOT Paid
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: 07FFL SOT Silencer Marking Location Question

Post by Bendersquint »

msantimanzano wrote:Hi folks, I am new here and am hoping for some insight.

I am an 07FFL, SOT paid and am going to be making some test suppressors. This question is in regards to our marking requirements. I believe I have seen/heard/read in the past, that
as a manufacturer we are allowed to mark/engrave our required information on either the tube OR on the end cap. At present, I intend to mark all initial suppressors with steel stamping....and therefore, doing so on the flat end cap is a best option for me. Now that I am searching for specific ATF/NFA info to verify that, I can find nothing. Do any of you have any insight on this specific matter? I appreciate any input gentlemen/ladies.

MGR&G
Hialeah, Florida
07FFL/SOT Paid
If you are worrying about being able to engrave on a tube then you really are in the wrong business.

Why is this in the silencersmithing section?
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

Heat the tube up cherry red than stamp it.... :D
"A man is known by the silence he keeps. - Oliver Herford"
"Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot..."
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

On a serious note the end cap is fine
john.t.little1
Silent But Deadly

Post by john.t.little1 »

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

john.t.little1 wrote:https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/ ... pter-7.pdf

7.4 defines it
Audits will be alot of fun that way!!
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Comedy.
John K

Post by John K »

msantimanzano wrote:Hi folks, I am new here and am hoping for some insight.

At present, I intend to mark all initial suppressors with steel stamping....and therefore, doing so on the flat end cap is a best option for me. Now that I am searching for specific ATF/NFA info to verify that, I can find nothing. Do any of you have any insight on this specific matter? I appreciate any input gentlemen/ladies.

MGR&G
Hialeah, Florida
07FFL/SOT Paid
You might want to look for an 07/02 near you who can mark your tubes for you.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

A 02/07 should not need any help marking tubes. Really makes you wonder about rest of machine work. Marking is the easy part.
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

A lot of machine shops do not have equipment to do engraving.

The 2mm stamp sets (ebay) make it really easy to mark the tubes. Insert a smaller tube inside the tube body for support and it it firmly. I've done this on AL, SS, and Ti. Best to test on a scrap piece first.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

:shock:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

66427vette wrote:A 02/07 should not need any help marking tubes. Really makes you wonder about rest of machine work. Marking is the easy part.
Hence my first comment!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

c5_nc wrote:A lot of machine shops do not have equipment to do engraving.

The 2mm stamp sets (ebay) make it really easy to mark the tubes. Insert a smaller tube inside the tube body for support and it it firmly. I've done this on AL, SS, and Ti. Best to test on a scrap piece first.
Not quite the engraving that an 07/02 should be doing in the 21st century.
300sniper
Silent Operator

Post by 300sniper »

Bendersquint wrote:

Going into full production, sure. While one is getting their start and doing demos, they may not be fully set up to do rotary engraving. I can not fault them for that.
It's time to switch to whiskey, we've been drinkin' beer all night.
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

Bendersquint wrote:

I get the impression he making them for his range to use on rental guns and doesn't care if it looks OEM. In any case he mentioned stamping them, and I've done that, with the really small 2mm sets it meets legal requirements and easy to do (smaller stamps are easier to stamp), and very unnoticeable when painted black.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Bendersquint wrote:
66427vette wrote:A 02/07 should not need any help marking tubes. Really makes you wonder about rest of machine work. Marking is the easy part.
Hence my first comment!
Things need to be said over and over on here past few years.
msantimanzano

Post by msantimanzano »

Bendersquint wrote:If you are worrying about being able to engrave on a tube then you really are in the wrong business.

First, thank you to those who had actual answers and actual suggestions to my inquiry. Second, shame on those of you who just must find a way to mock, insult or otherwise use any opportunity to be negative towards others with legitimate questions.

Why is this in the silencersmithing sections? Perhaps because it is a question relevant to suppressors, and if you are unable to just answer a question without knocking me for not having engraving equipment perhaps you really are in the wrong business of giving advice or opinions. Sad, but some of you just made a new member to your forum incredibly uncomfortable to even ask any questions in the future. This is certainly not the way to welcome new people to your forum and group.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

msantimanzano wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:If you are worrying about being able to engrave on a tube then you really are in the wrong business.

First, thank you to those who had actual answers and actual suggestions to my inquiry. Second, shame on those of you who just must find a way to mock, insult or otherwise use any opportunity to be negative towards others with legitimate questions.

Why is this in the silencersmithing sections? Perhaps because it is a question relevant to suppressors, and if you are unable to just answer a question without knocking me for not having engraving equipment perhaps you really are in the wrong business of giving advice or opinions. Sad, but some of you just made a new member to your forum incredibly uncomfortable to even ask any questions in the future. This is certainly not the way to welcome new people to your forum and group.
Welcome!

Many have experienced such initial reactions. Reminiscent of the initiation of the 'probie'
Falco into the 1% outlaw biker club portrayed in the way too realistic
new series "Gangland Undercover."

Take heart. You are now on your way to getting your patch - crossed suppressors over a
lathe and 5-axis milling machine. Then you will be a respected full "115 Db" member. :) :)

Best.