Type 7 FFL filing form 1 questions

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ajridgedell

Type 7 FFL filing form 1 questions

Post by ajridgedell »

I tried sifting through other posts, maybe its been covered b4. I am licensed as a manufacturer of firearms (type 7) but not NFA firearms. I have a LLC that my FFL is in. I want to do the form 1 with my LLC name on it. When I do a form 1 for manufacturing a silencer I should put my licence # on it??? I ask because I didn't know if (5) is only for class 3 type 2 dealers or what. Don't want to put my licence # if its the wrong type they're looking for. Also does having a licence omit me from having to send in finger prints and photo again? I know when I did my second FFL for my LLC I didn't have to.
ajridgedell

Re: Type 7 FFL filing form 1 questions

Post by ajridgedell »

under instruction page 8 section e of form 1 makes me think I don't have to. I can't figure out how to copy paste that part though.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Yes you would input your FFL # on it, but thats just for their records.....it won't speed anything up, and it won't avoid any other NFA requirements.

If its an LLC you don't have to submit mugshots at this time anyways.

As far as the ATF is concerned it doesn't matter that you have your 07 FFL as its not being used, you are simply using your LLC that also happens to be an 07 to submit a Form1 application....nothing more.
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

I would suggest going the trust route, one time lifetime deal. Putting in your LLC doesn't provide you with any advantage, depending on your state it likely commits you to filling an annual report and paying a fee yearly, which your already doing now but what happens if 5yrs from now when you close your LLC because of business, other opportunities, health, moving, whatever.
Last edited by c5_nc on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajridgedell

Post by ajridgedell »

c5_nc wrote:I would suggest going the trust route, one time lifetime deal. Putting in your LLC doesn't provide you with any advantage, depending on your state likely commits you to filling an annual report and pay a fee yearly, which your already doing now buy happens 5yrs from now when you close your llc because of business, other opportunities, whatever.
Obviously I don't plan on closing anytime soon, but good point. If I did go trust would I still list my FFL even though it's not being done as the LLC?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ajridgedell wrote:
c5_nc wrote:I would suggest going the trust route, one time lifetime deal. Putting in your LLC doesn't provide you with any advantage, depending on your state likely commits you to filling an annual report and pay a fee yearly, which your already doing now buy happens 5yrs from now when you close your llc because of business, other opportunities, whatever.
Obviously I don't plan on closing anytime soon, but good point. If I did go trust would I still list my FFL even though it's not being done as the LLC?
No, you would not use your FFL number if you are not doing it as an FFL.

You would file it like every other trust out there.
ajridgedell

Post by ajridgedell »

I see, thanks for help guys! Still trying to decide exactly how I want to go about it.

EDIT: after some quick reading a trust is the obvious choice, thanks!