First 45 Can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

First 45 Can

Post by Enfield577 »

Hi Guys

just experimented with my first 45 can and it was quite a success, nothing fancy, just 7 Ks and did not bother with booster

However result were surprisingly good for a first attempt at this calibre, we tried it close to buildings so a lot of sound reflection but I would still say hearing safe, so a huge reduction from a standard 45.

We then tried with a squirt of oil and that really dampened it down to a soft thud, but the biggest shock of all was that the gun functioned, more times that not it would cycle !!!

Maybe next step we try another couple of baffles in the can and see how it goes

Anyone got any data for home loading QUIET 45 rounds would be appreciated, this was full power factory loads so I think we can loose a lot with just down loading, not worried about single shot at this stage

Having fun in the colonies, because we can :wink:
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: First 45 Can

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Quality job on the Ks.

Instead of added more, I'd rather have it function 100% of time by adding booster. But that's me.
GLad to hear that the project worked well for you.

If you load the quickest VV powder w 165gr subsonic slugs that should give quiet results. Of course that will also generate the lightest recoil impulse. So definately single shot.

Have you thought of adding something like:
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
MoNkEy
Silent Operator

Post by MoNkEy »

Nice and light!

What diameter and wall thickness did you use for your tube?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I love to see one of our old masters make it look so easy.
Your work has been artfully executed in a flawless way or normal for you!

-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Thanks for the kind words gents, the encouragement and advice is always appreciated

Capt, well getting old, definitely, master, well who knows ha ha

MoNkey, sorry to hit you with metric but 36mm o/d with 2 mm wall- that is about 0.080" wall and 1.417" o/d

Cheers

D
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
sickasssig
Silent Operator

Post by sickasssig »

All i can say is great work and awesome job keep em comin enfeild
:evil: hey watch this
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Enfield577 wrote: MoNkey, sorry to hit you with metric but 36mm o/d with 2 mm wall- that is about 0.080" wall and 1.417" o/d

Cheers

D
Sir,

I do not mind the metric, ;-)

Hat of, again great machining, good to see that you are still working the field of building Silencers.
Your customer can be very pleased that he found a machinist knowing how to turn a piece of stock into a well executed design.

Have fun and a great weekend.

Gunny
MoNkEy
Silent Operator

Post by MoNkEy »

Thank you sir!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Stellar, Enfield, as usual.

Please say, if any, your blast baffle length is.

Have seen straight .45 can with just disks and spacers
and no blast baffle.

Best.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Nice job
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

great job bro
NP
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

It's an old thread, but the question of quiet .45 ammo is still there, so:

I load H&G 185 grain SWC's over a light load (well under book minimum) of tight group, and still get reliable function as well as low recoil impulse and low muzzle blast. It's very quiet through a suppressor.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Tony M. wrote:It's an old thread, but the question of quiet .45 ammo is still there, so:

I load H&G 185 grain SWC's over a light load (well under book minimum) of tight group, and still get reliable function as well as low recoil impulse and low muzzle blast. It's very quiet through a suppressor.
For target practice and possibly small game the light bullet is fine.For personel diplomacy subsonic projectiles must have deep penetration leaving large wound channels for them to be effective.A 230gr HP loaded with Unique is subsonic w/ low flash and devastating on larger game.
The 1911 is one of the more forgiving hosts and dose not require a Nielsen device if weight and length are adjusted to the cyclic node of the pistols operation.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
mcrump
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mcrump »

I don't think I've ever seen the waste cut that large. Did you work up from smaller cuts?
Spectrum Tactical Solutions
FFL 01/SOT/07 license holder
Master Machinist
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Capt. Link. wrote:
Tony M. wrote:It's an old thread, but the question of quiet .45 ammo is still there, so:

For target practice and possibly small game the light bullet is fine.For personel diplomacy subsonic projectiles must have deep penetration leaving large wound channels for them to be effective.A 230gr HP loaded with Unique is subsonic w/ low flash and devastating on larger game.
The 1911 is one of the more forgiving hosts and dose not require a Nielsen device if weight and length are adjusted to the cyclic node of the pistols operation.
-CL
I agree that for any kind of social engagement, heavier bullets would be better, since he was talking about not caring about the gun not even cycling, I took the implication this was more for fun and responded as such.