'Mini' 5.56 F1 thoughts

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Slow Hand
Silent Operator

'Mini' 5.56 F1 thoughts

Post by Slow Hand »

After finishing up my 300 blk can, I'm thinking about building another one. This one would be 5.56, direct thread, welded, 60 degree cones. It would probably my split its time between a couple of 16" carbines and the 11" upper I have as a second for my 300 SBR. I've got some 1.5" stainless tubing, 316; I believe and would make everything else out of 316 too. I made the baffles on my 300 can out of it and it cuts well for me in my old Atlas.

My dilemma comes with how long it should be. It looks like I can fit 7-8 comes in there with about 1/2" spacing and a 1 1/2" blast chamber if I make it 6" overall. I'd like to keep it more compact at around 4" though. I'd lose probably 4 baffles though. I know a 5.56 is t quiet with any can on it (I've ran my SAS .30 cal can on various AR's) but I'm wondering if the decrease in length is worth the increase in noise/blast. The short barrel is plain nasty to shoot with the muzzle brake I've got on it. Im excited to get started on my next build, but want to make it worth my while.

I m ow some guys on here have done mini and micro builds, any opinions?
V8Astro
Silent But Deadly

Re: 'Mini' 5.56 F1 thoughts

Post by V8Astro »

I like the idea too. Sorry I don't have much technical advice. I would think your idea would work. I have a 10.5" SBR and ANY suppression would be nice
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Look at copying the little OPS, Inc. M4S, it's a good place to start.

Only 17db reduction, just enough to keep your ears from bleeding with a 11.5".
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Don't go short on the can. In fact I'd lengthen to 6.5".
With ARs, you definitely don't want to increase backpressure b/c the noise will just increase from the ejection port. NOT a tradeoff that I'd accept.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314