Help me loose some weight

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Help me loose some weight

Post by McLarenross »

Not my fat ass, my suppressor of course!

Im working on a dedicated 223 can so I dont have to keep using my heavy ass 30 cal can on my ARs. Im using the same basic design principles as the 30 cal can I made but it will be shorter and hopefully lighter for quicker handling.

The can is 1.5" OD and 6.5" long attaching to my design of TOMB style muzzle brake. The outer tube is 0.065" wall and the inner spacers are 0.049" wall and I have swiss cheesed the small spacers to remove weight. All 316 stainless steel. Im not sure where else to cut down the weight though. The baffles are all 0.065" (first will be around 0.085") I just cant see where else to cut weight on this thing.

There are no "ex-Marines", just Marines who arent active anymore.
unknownpro

Re: Help me loose some weight

Post by unknownpro »

I didn't see your first can so its hard to tell from your picture what changes to make. Either add a link or post some pictures of it apart.

If you really like the design but don't know what to change then use titanium, you will see a huge reduction just by changing materials.
daPhoosa
Silent Operator

Post by daPhoosa »

Are you welding the outer tube? Without threads, you tube could be closer to 0.040"

How long is your barrel? If it's 14"+ you could make all the baffles but the first one thinner ~.045"
My form 1 build: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136387
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

My 30 cal can is essentially just like this except with 8 baffle and 3" longer. It performs great, but its heavy.

This will always be on a 16" or greater barrel. I Will be welding the endcaps on, no threads.

Thinking about it, I went ahead and swiss cheesed the first spacer as well. I also thinned the alignment washer at the front of the brake and saved about 1.2oz more. I might thin the outer tube infront of the blast baffle too. Anything else?

McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

Thinning the outter tube to 1.465" for the last 4" actually saved a whole nother ounce! That brings me to 18.2oz. Thats on par with the M4-2k. Im pretty happy with that.
dex

Post by dex »

Make it out of titanium and it will drop 40% weight.

If you're set on SS then flute all the cones. While you're fluting things cut some more flutes into the back side where there's thick material and it's not threaded and not welded.

If you're welding it all ditch the spacers and plug weld the baffles in place.
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

Im sticking with SS cause of cost and I have most of the stock needed already. Ti would be nice though.
Samson104
Silent But Deadly

Post by Samson104 »

For a dedicated 16" AR I would make the end cap just long enough to cover the threads on the mount , the taper on the rear of the TOMB is cute concentric to the threads and bore so you don't need anything else to hold it true.
the .065" wall is plenty thick enough for your application , no need for doubled blast chamber.
eliminate the spacers by plug welding the cones in place this will drop alot of weight and increase internal volume which is a win win situation.
I would guess doing it this way would drop the weight 25-30% at least
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I've used .035" steel tubing for 223 cans and it is fine. .070" for the blast baffle and .040 for the remaining baffles should be good unless you plan on using it on a MG. My last 223 can was 7.5" long with 1.5" .049" 304 tubing with a cone blast baffle and the rest K's. 16.3 ounces.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

Ranb, that is very reassuring. Thanks for the confidence. I will thin out the tube and do a little more trimming on the baffles.