Carbide Inserts for 416 SS

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Carbide Inserts for 416 SS

Post by fastfire »

Been looking for Inserts that work well for machining 416 SS. There are a lot of inserts that I have found that work for 416.
What are the ones you use?

I am getting fairly good at sharpening HHS, anyone using this while machining 416?

Learning.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Re: Carbide Inserts for 416 SS

Post by CMV »

416 is free-machining like 303 SS or 12L14 steel and very easy to work with compared to many other materials.

Unless you really need to push the tool as fast as it will go or make X number of pieces before indexing/changing an insert, don't get too wrapped up about which flavor of insert.

I have Mistsubishi, Kennametal, Seco, & RTW coated carbide inserts. None of them perform poorly in 416. Say what size(s) you use for it and if I have the same I can give the the entire part number of ones that work well for me. Beyond that I'm not much help telling you what specific geometry or coating is "best". I use trial & error & then just continue to use what works well on a certain material.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

I use mcmaster brazed carbide tools on my hobby lathe and they cut 416 nicely. 416 is easy to work with, not quite as good as 12L14 but close.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I have yet to use carbide on 416 in over 30 years of shop time.A 10% cobalt HSS or T-15 with coolent is all that is needed.CMV did a excellent home made coolent system thread that would be a great addition to your shop with either ground tools or carbide.If you wish to play a bit check out AR.Warner for tool holders and tool bits made from cobalt and carbide that will interchange.
HSS steel will give a better finish in most cases over carbide, ceramic's or pcd tool's in most materials.Learning how to grind tools by hand is a skill that pays big dividends in being a machinist.That skill allows one to make other custom cutting tools that can't be bought.My hat is off to you to even know the skill as its lacking in most amateurs.
-CL

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=133166
http://www.arwarnerco.com/
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Capt. Link. wrote:I have yet to use carbide on 416 in over 30 years of shop time.A 10% cobalt HSS or T-15 with coolent is all that is needed.CMV did a excellent home made coolent system thread that would be a great addition to your shop with either ground tools or carbide.If you wish to play a bit check out AR.Warner for tool holders and tool bits made from cobalt and carbide that will interchange.
HSS steel will give a better finish in most cases over carbide, ceramic's or pcd tool's in most materials.Learning how to grind tools by hand is a skill that pays big dividends in being a machinist.That skill allows one to make other custom cutting tools that can't be bought.My hat is off to you to even know the skill as its lacking in most amateurs.
-CL

Thank you for the advice, My lathe ,http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combo-Lathe-Mill/G9729. There is no opening in the top of the ways for coolant to drain from.
I do not think will be a good candidate for coolant system but if you think so I'm willing to convert it.
FF
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Probably not a lot different than any other lathe - you still have to wipe down flat spots. Call Grizzly & ask or look in the manual (can download if machine didn't come with).
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

You can still use coolent.
A mister system.
A micro drip system.
A acid brush with cutting oil.
The micro drip is a gravity fed system using a 1/8 brass adjustable valve available from HD with a coffee can.You direct the drops of oil to the cutting area.Most of it evaporates much like cutting oil from a brush but you can use mixed coolants or oil in the drip tube.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Capt. Link. wrote:You can still use coolent.
A mister system.
A micro drip system.
The micro drip is a gravity fed system using a 1/8 brass adjustable valve available from HD with a coffee can.You direct the drops of oil to the cutting area.Most of it evaporates much like cutting oil from a brush but you can use mixed coolants or oil in the drip tube.
I'm liking the drip system idea (available from HD )? what is this?
Thanks for the suggestions!

Found this example of drip system, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Fv1pYrfLg
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Capt. Link. wrote:I have yet to use carbide on 416 in over 30 years of shop time.A 10% cobalt HSS or T-15 with coolent is all that is needed.CMV did a excellent home made coolent system thread that would be a great addition to your shop with either ground tools or carbide.If you wish to play a bit check out AR.Warner for tool holders and tool bits made from cobalt and carbide that will interchange.
-CL

I ordered t-15, couldn't find 10% cobalt but did order 8%
cjim

Post by cjim »

fastfire wrote:
Capt. Link. wrote:You can still use coolent.
A mister system.
A micro drip system.
I'm liking the drip system idea (available from HD )? what is this?
Thanks for the suggestions!

Found this example of drip system, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Fv1pYrfLg
That's for the brass fitting. You can purchase one at any hardware store.
Same for any tubing you will need. I picked up a swamp cooler pump for a project. Might go with the drip style due to space limitations.