Engineer/Silencer classes

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

JCAG

Engineer/Silencer classes

Post by JCAG »

Hello everyone. I have been a longtime lurker/user of info on this forum. I used a lot of info on here to help build my first form 1 silencer over the last several months (and currently working on 2 more). I initially built the silencer just to have one and because a friend had all the necessary tools to build it. Doing so created what I suspect will be a life long hobby for me. I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing some machining equipment (lathe, mill, etc).

Anyways, the reason I am posting is, I am interested in taking college classes that would relate to building silencers. So from all those with experience/degrees what type of classes would help expand my knowledge and benefit my new found hobby. Is there a specific engineering degree that would be ideal, etc.

I am within a few years of retiring from the Marine Corps and figured I might as well put my GI bill to some use since it is free while I am in.

Thanks for any input.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Re: Engineer/Silencer classes

Post by Enfield577 »

Hi
my background is as a toolmaker (I think you might say tool and die maker in the US), if you went down that route you would have a good understanding of using most machines, lathes, mills, grinders etc. to very fine tolerances. It would also give you an understanding of making special fixtures etc. to hold parts while machining (you can't always just put something in a chuck or vice)

I have not really struggled with any aspect of actually manufacturing the suppressor parts. Check out some of my old posts and sometimes I have shown how to make the parts, particularly with K baffles.

Very best wishes for your future path, I hope you get to enjoy engineering like I have

D
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
Tacoblack

Post by Tacoblack »

To share my thoughts on the question. The best field of engineering to go into for this would be a mechanical engineer. I have a M.E. degree and specialized in manufacturing. This path gives you the knowledge to properly design the project, and by specializing in manufacturing you will be able to design with the manufacturering process in mind. The knowledge of the tools and how to use them goes a long way in the design process.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Pneumatics and fluid dynamics...
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

I have a BS in ME and also work as a manufacturing engineer. Experience on the job and especially with my hobbies has been A LOT of help, more so that most of the classes I took. If you are interested in really engineering a silencer vs. just eyeballing the design I would recommend:

Solids I and II: strength of materials theory; classical analysis (i.e. formulas and not FEA/computer analysis) of a lot of the stuff you will need to analyze like a tube with pressure in it, finding shear in threads, etc.
fluids: maybe kind of useful. Talks about laminar/turbulent flow but I dont know if it goes in-depth enough to really help understand flow in something as complex as a silencer. I haven't used this stuff in-depth since I left school but I get to re-learn it now for the PE exam :cry:
Machine Design (mine was component 1 of a 2 part class, the 2nd part was a hands on design project). This was one of the most useful classes I took in school but it has a bunch of pre-requisites. It goes over thread design, linkages, a tiny bit of manufacturing etc.
Solid modeling/autocad/pro engineer/creo/solidworks/inventor etc. Take a computer drafting class somewhere. That will be super useful and will let you proof out your designs before you start making chips. If you dont already use CAD you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

All of those classes have pre-requisites. You are going to need somewhat advanced calculus (probably up to calc 2) to understand the concepts behind some stuff. A lot of it requires summation/integration. Machine design is a senior level class and probably requires a lot of classes you don't need (off the top of my head, stuff I will most likely NEVER use: vibrations, thermodynamics, controls etc.).

I have learned more about actual manufacturing from on-the-job experience and my hobbies than school. The senior design class was great though, we had to design and build a project from start to finish.
JCAG

Post by JCAG »

Thanks everyone, this gives me a good starting point to start looking at classes offered in local area. I appreciate it.
jryock

Post by jryock »

I would start off with some trade (e.g. machinist, welder, etc) classes before jumping into a degree program. That would give you the skills necessary to build based on existing designs. From there, if you truly enjoy it, you can phighera BS in engineering (some places may pay your way to develop).

The best part is that you will have skills and veterans preference for transitioning from mil to civ. There's a lot of positions at naval shipyards and such that would be open for you.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Our local community college has an excellent machinists program. I think they finish with an AAS degree but it might just be a certificate. But over the course of 2 yrs the people come out decent at reading prints, using measuring tools properly, and have experience on manual and CNC equipment. I think a Haas VF4 is the largest machining center there, but they have a good assortment of manual lathes, mills, surface grinders, etc. Classes are small (~20) and they do a lot of projects. A few local employers compete for the best students. I worked for two of them & that's how I became familiar with the program. When people had about 6 months left we'd hire them as apprentices. After they graduated and if they were a good employee those 6 months they became a full-time employee and got reimbursed for their last year of school. Their actual job was more of a 'parts changer' on a CNC but they had to do their own setups, monitor & change/index tooling, measure critical features, and do first articles on a CMM (that was already programmed). They could also make minor program adjustments but usually had to tell the lead or engineer what they were doing & why.

Anyway, I think that would be a good place to start. Even if you didn't want to do the full program talk to the guy who is lead instructor at your local CC. Not the admin people but the actual instructor. He could tell you specifically what classes you'd want to learn the things you care about.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
JCAG

Post by JCAG »

Which cc is it CMV? I am actually getting ready to move to NC. Camp Lejeune/ Jacksonville area.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Forsyth Tech. Not really close to where you'll be but I'm sure there are many out there with good programs.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Unless you have the base classes necessary most engineering courses will not be of use to you.But I'm sure you can learn some useful information in fluid dynamics with self study.The other is study of successful designs and apply that to your base knowledge.The way suppressors work can be very complex and experimentation is the best teacher.That unfortunately is limited to FFL holders only.
PM sent -CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
jryock

Post by jryock »

I can tell you first hand that most engineering programs will not teach you the necessary skills to MAKE the part; that comes from field experience and the desire to pursue that knowledge. The closest you can get is getting into an engineering technology program; most of these now offer a bachelor of science or associates degree option.
JCAG

Post by JCAG »

Thanks again everyone. Capt Link I sent a pm back to you. It said it was sent but only shows up in my outbox, not my sent items. If you didnt get it let me know and I will try resending.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

Fluid mechanics
Oscillations and waves
Thermodynamics

http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/

just to get the thought process on track

Making it is a whole different thought process
as mechanical design comes into play
but having an idea of what you think will work is always best.
as suggested trial and error or R&D :D

Good luck
NRA Life Member