Finished 5.56 can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Rich93ds

Re: First form 1 build log and a few questions

Post by Rich93ds »

I don't have pictures but I got all of the baffles formed (about 45*) and they are ready to be final drilled. I'm still undecided on if I want to clip or port them. I have a 1/16th carbide burr and was thinking about doing two small clips on some of the baffles. And I am thinking about doing three ports on the baffles, but instead of drilling them using the burr to make a hole on a angle and switch directions on every baffle.

Any thoughts?
Sig 516 - Magpul UBR, CCA Side Mount Bipod, Velocity 4lb Trigger, SDTA Brake, Vortex Strike Eagle

Form 1 - .223cal 6" Titanium Can

Form 1 - 9mm Full Size K Can and 9mm Cone Micro Can
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Rich93ds wrote:I don't have pictures but I got all of the baffles formed (about 45*) and they are ready to be final drilled. I'm still undecided on if I want to clip or port them. I have a 1/16th carbide burr and was thinking about doing two small clips on some of the baffles. And I am thinking about doing three ports on the baffles, but instead of drilling them using the burr to make a hole on a angle and switch directions on every baffle.

Any thoughts?
Porting would be a mistake if you built the suppressor as planed.Hemispheric baffles have there own qualities as is.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

Capt. Link. wrote:
Rich93ds wrote:I don't have pictures but I got all of the baffles formed (about 45*) and they are ready to be final drilled. I'm still undecided on if I want to clip or port them. I have a 1/16th carbide burr and was thinking about doing two small clips on some of the baffles. And I am thinking about doing three ports on the baffles, but instead of drilling them using the burr to make a hole on a angle and switch directions on every baffle.

Any thoughts?
Porting would be a mistake if you built the suppressor as planed.Hemispheric baffles have there own qualities as is.
-CL
I ended up with 45°Ish cones, so I was not sure about the porting and clipping. Also I don't know what baffles need what. All of the parts are at the machine shop so I can't take pictures.
Sig 516 - Magpul UBR, CCA Side Mount Bipod, Velocity 4lb Trigger, SDTA Brake, Vortex Strike Eagle

Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

I guess I'll leave a update too. I'm waiting on the muzzle shims and rocksett from brownells. Everything else is at the machine shop. They are doing all of the final drilling, engraving the tube, rounding the edges on the caps and removing the knurling, crowning the bore hole, and sandblasting the tube and caps.

All I will have left on Friday when I get everything back is to cut the spacer, assemble and test fire it before I Rocksett it closed and have it Cerakoated.

I'm still undecided on porting or clipping the baffles

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

I really really hope wherever you left your suppressor parts is also an 07/02 manufacturer.
Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

Yes they are

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Rich93ds wrote:I guess I'll leave a update too. I'm waiting on the muzzle shims and rocksett from brownells. Everything else is at the machine shop. They are doing all of the final drilling, engraving the tube, rounding the edges on the caps and removing the knurling, crowning the bore hole, and sandblasting the tube and caps.

All I will have left on Friday when I get everything back is to cut the spacer, assemble and test fire it before I Rocksett it closed and have it Cerakoated.

I'm still undecided on porting or clipping the baffles
I would hold off on using rocksett.Red locktight will do the trick and can be disassembled with some heat.I have never tried to remove rocksett so maybe someone could chime in if it can be removed.
Why are you using a shim? PM sent.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Rocksett is water soluble and can be removed after soaking in hot water if too much wasn't used... :shock:
Rich93ds

Re: 5.56 build log

Post by Rich93ds »

I got everything back from the machine shop today. The only things not done now are cutting the spacer,anodizing, and any porting and clipping. I took some pictures for everyone too.

Now that I have the baffles to the final bore and form what does everyone think about clipping porting them? I don't have a whole lot of internal volume so I'm trying to get as much as I can out of them

And this one is just for fun

Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

Off topic but they also made 100 charging handles for a customer and he never picked them up. I'm pretty sure they ripped off Rainer Arms design but I got a deal and there are only 99 of these out there now.

1rosta

Post by 1rosta »

Are we sharing the good deals? :wink:
Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

1rosta wrote:Are we sharing the good deals? :wink:
Maybe. I have to talk to him. I have friends that asked too

Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

Will either of these clipping methods benefit me? Will they make it quieter or hurt accuracy? I was searching on the forum and I came across these pictures.

sickasssig
Silent Operator

Re: 5.56 build log update on pg 2

Post by sickasssig »

If I we're you I would clip all but the first and last baffle with either a double clip or triple clip it shouldn't hurt accuracy and should reduce the decibels by a few shoot it with no clips and if not satisfied start clipping good luck and post pictures when complete thanks
:evil: hey watch this
Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

I was looking at the drawing and layout of everything and if I move the coin baffle within a couple millimeters of the brake I can fit another formed freeze plug. That would leave me with the blast chamber being the area around the brake. Before I cut my spacers I wanted to get some opinions. Would the ninth baffle be beneficial or just take away on internal volume?

gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Rich93ds wrote:I was looking at the drawing and layout of everything and if I move the coin baffle within a couple millimeters of the brake I can fit another formed freeze plug. That would leave me with the blast chamber being the area around the brake. Before I cut my spacers I wanted to get some opinions. Would the ninth baffle be beneficial or just take away on internal volume?
Keep in mind that you do need that first blast volume in front of your blast baffle.
ALSO You use it on a gas gun so excessive gas-blowback will follow if your fist chamber is to small.

Gunny
Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

gunny50 wrote:
Rich93ds wrote:I was looking at the drawing and layout of everything and if I move the coin baffle within a couple millimeters of the brake I can fit another formed freeze plug. That would leave me with the blast chamber being the area around the brake. Before I cut my spacers I wanted to get some opinions. Would the ninth baffle be beneficial or just take away on internal volume?
Keep in mind that you do need that first blast volume in front of your blast baffle.
ALSO You use it on a gas gun so excessive gas-blowback will follow if your fist chamber is to small.

Gunny
It's a piston gun. I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to have any extra baffle or more blast chamber

Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

I just picked up everything to anodize all of the titanium. I will be posting progress pictures and everything I used. I'm hoping to get everything except for a test fire done tonight.

cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

I did a form 1 can in titanium with cone baffles ( .30 cal ). Initially I was on the fence about clipping them and ended up clipping them and glad I did.
BIG difference in suppression just by my ear. I have no idea if clipping a freeze plug would yield the same results but clipping does make a difference.
I did all of mine except the blast baffle.

Before clipping~

Clipped~

Branded for life, in more ways than one
Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

I'm going to clip all but the first and last to start.

I'm in for the long haul tonight. I'm starting the anodizing right now. I'll try and keep this updated

fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Rich93ds wrote:I'm going to clip all but the first and last to start.

I'm in for the long haul tonight. I'm starting the anodizing right now. I'll try and keep this updated

Is the watermelon a secret ingredient in the anodizing process?:lol:
Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

fastfire wrote:
Rich93ds wrote:I'm going to clip all but the first and last to start.

Is the watermelon a secret ingredient in the anodizing process?:lol:
Shhhhhh

Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

We had a hell of a time anodizing everything. It is nothing like the YouTube videos. But I got enough color to prevent the threads galling.

Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

Rich93ds

Post by Rich93ds »

It's late and I got it finished but I did not take any more pictures. I'll have more tomorrow. I did three rounds of m855 ball with the gas system off in the field where I shoot. I've never heard a commercial suppressor before so I can't say to how quiet it is but I did it without earpro and it was not unpleasant at all. Just the supersonic crack as much as I could tell.

I'll post more tomorrow.